There is no needle in my throttle cable.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Kikwear
Spree
Spree

There is no needle in my throttle cable.

Post by Kikwear »

I was perusing my manual trying to figure out why my Spree won't idle and runs like crap. The jet is right, #68 but I realized after removing the throttle cable that there is no needle in it!

I figure that the unseated main jet is overtaking the idle circuit and is making the whole spectrum too rich. Hence, why I have to keep blipping the throttle to keep it alive and why it accelerates soooo slowly and only tops out at 15mph. Take a look at these pictures. I have included the carb number because on page 4-8 of the Honda manual, it specifies two different needles for 85 and 86. My model Spree is an 85 but if someone removed the needle for whatever reason, maybe they changed the carb too. The number on the carb if you can't read it too well is 2 9C (D with a box around it) Y A (7 curved at the end with a line through the middle). Can anyone decipher this code to tell me what year carburetor it is so I can get the right needle set and am I crazy that there is no needle there?

Farfignugin
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Farfignugin »

Thats interesting that there is no needle....but if anything it would make ur scoot rev up rreeaally high i think.......it might also flood it. But thats just my guess.
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

not really, keep in mind that its not getting the air too. all fuel. this can definately solve your problem.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Per manual page 1-3: PA29C is the correct carb for '85. You may get the "wrong" needle anyway (wrong number of clips,) I'm betting either will work.

Rather than theorize about what a missing one would do, just replace it. Should only run at WOT, but have a hard time getting there.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Kikwear
Spree
Spree

Post by Kikwear »

Oh, I'm going to the Honda stealership tomorrow. I'm sure it would get to WOT eventually, however, I don't have that long of a street in front of my house. :lol: This problem would've been the farthest thing from my mind. I have cleaned that idle circuit so well so many times...