Mangled drive shaft splines

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Mangled drive shaft splines

Post by breaze »

What started out as a simple loose belt has now become mangled drive shaft splines. I was experimenting with different belts trying to cure a loose belt whine from the drive case. After the first belt change the problem went from a whine to a shudder. That should have told me something.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I read through the forum and saw warnings about the splines and being careful with them. I knew I hadn't been, so I pulled the pulley and didn't feel good about what I saw. The splines are mangled and the inside pulley half spins freely with its grooves worn out. I'm quite the humbled noob.

This is tough to take. I was so close and it ran so well except for the whine. Now I guess I am looking at a major job ahead of me. Best I can tell, cracking the case, replacing the crankshaft (complete assembly from Honda is $170.00), and replacing the front drive pulley - although the outer side may be salvageable.

This is something I do for fun and I am trying to relax and find something positive about the experience. Best I can come up with is that if I go forward, at least I can say I cracked a case - bet it makes a * of a pop. Also, what a great opportunity to replace the bearings and seals. Already re-worked the top-end, gotta do the bottom to stay in balance.

I plan to start reading up and maybe not move ahead so quickly this time.

My biggest concern is not the project, but the cost. From my experience, the more money I throw in, the less fun I have. I've got several other no-peds and scoots to ride so I am in no hurry.

If anyone has a crankshaft at a better price...

Sorry for the novel, needed to vent a little.
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90
tw39515
Elite
Elite

Re: Mangled drive shaft splines

Post by tw39515 »

Is it a spree didnt happen to see what kind of scoot it is. if its a spree check out here. Or i hate to say dude swap in a dio.
87 elite dio
01 elite 50
87 aero parting out
85 spree sold
breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by breaze »

Yes, an 84 Spree so that 85 engine would be a good fit. That is probably the smart thing to do but I hate to throw $100.00 at it (with shipping) without time to mull it over.

Great suggestion - thanks for pointing it out. But I think I'll step back and think this one through. My guess is that a new engine is going to be the most painless route, but I'm not a dio dude, more like a 53 year-old fart with 3 kids keeping himself busy with an excuse to drink cold beers out in the shop.
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Post by odinxxix »

post a pic if you can. if they arent to bad you may be able to massage them back to life.
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by breaze »

If nothing else, these can be used as examples of boneheaded endeavors:

When the pulley inner half is all the way on it spins freely - I actually thought of using JBWeld on the inner pulley (the outer pulley holds). I would never be able to take off the inside pulley but would still be able to change the belt and do maintenance...
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90
tw39515
Elite
Elite

Post by tw39515 »

ouch.
87 elite dio
01 elite 50
87 aero parting out
85 spree sold
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

tw39515 wrote:ouch.
agreed. I'm Sure someone has a crankshaft around here
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

You MIGHT get away with a new pulley. Or not. A new pulley and a file might do wonders.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

breaze wrote:If nothing else, these can be used as examples of boneheaded endeavors:

When the pulley inner half is all the way on it spins freely - I actually thought of using JBWeld on the inner pulley (the outer pulley holds). I would never be able to take off the inside pulley but would still be able to change the belt and do maintenance...
The Inner pully is not splinned and should spin free.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Post by wiguy05 »

CRANK

I still have the above crank if it helps! :coolcruise:
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit
- Stock 125cc undertail exhaust

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by breaze »

Wow, so the inner pulley is supposed to spin freely, which means there is still hope. I assume if the outer pulley is seated properly and torqued properly, the pressure against the inner pulley keeps it from slipping... and it is the outer pulley which is driven by the shaft.

I am going to try to assemble the front pulley on the shaft without the belt and see if there is a chance it will hold - the pulley splines look fine. I'll see if I can work on the shaft grooves with a file first.

Who knows... after reading up on splitting the case, removing and re-installing a crankshaft, I really don't think I'm ready for that effort.
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

breaze wrote:Wow, so the inner pulley is supposed to spin freely, which means there is still hope. I assume if the outer pulley is seated properly and torqued properly, the pressure against the inner pulley keeps it from slipping... and it is the outer pulley which is driven by the shaft.

I am going to try to assemble the front pulley on the shaft without the belt and see if there is a chance it will hold - the pulley splines look fine. I'll see if I can work on the shaft grooves with a file first.

Who knows... after reading up on splitting the case, removing and re-installing a crankshaft, I really don't think I'm ready for that effort.
In order away from the center of the crank it goes oil seal, washer, inner pulley with fins pointed towards center of of crank, outer pulley, washer, nut. Only the outer pulley engages the splines. When you have the outer pulley on, it should completely cover all of the splines, but just barely. If you leave off the inside washer, there will be splines visible, and when you put the outer washer on, you will crush them and ruin the crank. Your assumption is correct.
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

Trafficjamz is right.

The pulley is a softer alloy than the crankshaft, so there is a good chance you could clean out the splines. They usually get damaged by a poorly torqued shaft nut that allows the steel front pulley gear to spin on them.

Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc
breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by breaze »

Wow - hope springs eternal - and here I am stuck at the office. I will work on cleaning and possibly filing the splines on the shaft when I get home. Also, I will check the splines on the front pulley for damage. Honda wants $63.00 for that front pulley piece. Assuming the pulley splines gave and the shaft splines are recoverable, anyone have the front pulley piece (called a gear by Honda)?
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Post by odinxxix »

you might be able to use a file the kind that looks like a diamond from the side and file it down inbetween the slots and make it work. good luck and let us know if you repair or replace.
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite