1996 SA50p slowing down

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

funbelly
Noob
Noob

1996 SA50p slowing down

Post by funbelly »

ok well i have a 1996 elite that has around 9800 miles on it. as of right now its only running about 25mph but it use to go around 35mph i was wondering if there is any tuning tips to make it go faster again.

also does anyone know where i can get a cone filter for the carb on this model some kids ripped my airbox off last night and stripped the bolts so i need to replace it with a cone filter...

i just want to get my baby running again its to nice out for it to be sitting on the side of my house

thanks

funbelly
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: 1996 SA50p slowing down

Post by martynkim »

First of all Welcome! and stop storing it outside! If you have read around you have seen clean the carb and then clean it again!
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

funbelly wrote:ok well i have a 1996 elite that has around 9800 miles on it. as of right now its only running about 25mph but it use to go around 35mph i was wondering if there is any tuning tips to make it go faster again.

also does anyone know where i can get a cone filter for the carb on this model some kids ripped my airbox off last night and stripped the bolts so i need to replace it with a cone filter...

i just want to get my baby running again its to nice out for it to be sitting on the side of my house

thanks

funbelly
Welcome! the big reason right now your going slow is because your missing the airbox so the engine is running lean.by just putting a aftermarket air cleaner is not going to solve your problem. if you do get the aftermarket air cleaner ,you will also need to get bigger jets to compensate for more air thats going into the motor now or you could just find another airbox.if you keep riding the bike in the lean condition ,you risk seizing the engine. then you will have a bigger problem.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
funbelly
Noob
Noob

Post by funbelly »

well i just cleaned out the carb yesterday bc since the airbox was ripped off i felt like it was needed... what size of jet would i need to use if i go with an after market air filter. and does anyone know a reputable site to buy both of these items?

thanks

funbelly
Gungatim
Noob
Noob

Post by Gungatim »

My SA50p only ran around 20mph as it was missing the airbox cover when I got it. I made a plate out of sheet metal to cover it for looks but it is basically just sucking air wide open through the filter. I had to drill the main jet to .81mm and now it runs 37mph after I removed the ramp plate and drilled the exhaust washer. Hope that helps point you in the right direction.
Current lineup:
'66 Honda CT-90
'70 Solex
'74 Solex Horse
'77 Hobbit
'78 PA50II
'78 Express
'81 Express II
'79 Puch Maxi-Luxe
'87 Razz
'95 Elite
'51 PM putt-putt
'64 Daimler-Puch
Happy Time 80cc motorbikes (2)
Man, I really need a Spree!!
funbelly
Noob
Noob

Post by funbelly »

ya that does give me some ideas i have already removed the exhaust washer a while ago but i guess i could just grass roots fabricate a filter system