odd running in stock elite

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

skeeter2
BMX
BMX

odd running in stock elite

Post by skeeter2 »

so I installed the engine that i received from bandit today into my elite. At first i couldn't get it to start at all. I checked for spark, fuel and compression, and everything was good. So i figured reed and switched them out with an extra set i had. I also switched the intake from an 89 which looks different than the 87. It started right up. Kinda... It idles like a * charm. When i give it gas though it sounds like an engine sounds when it hits the Governor. It revs slightly then bounces back down very quickly. Its the same with or without the air box. It almost seems like its running rich. I have the stock carb air box and an 88 jet. I cant think of anything. air leak maybe???
Videonut
Spree
Spree

Re: odd running in stock elite

Post by Videonut »

ya the air mix is not right, its what my spree does when the filter falls off. or check to see if there may be something stuck in the inlet hose or between the carb and engine. did ya put the right plug in?? is it getting starved for gas?? check the petcock too.
86 spree with honda cb750 rear shock
xr50 knobby tires, 32mph on slightly restricted craftsman air filter.
Scooter was stolen so i have to make it look good again
skeeter2
BMX
BMX

Post by skeeter2 »

Ok, i checked the plug, its right. I sealed the entire intake, and i made sure the air box had a good seal, new filter. i started it up, and i still have the same problem. it wont run if i give it more than 1/3 of gas. Im so frustrated. i want to drop round two of the polina kit on, but not if i cant even get it to run right stock. I've spent nearly $800 on this f-ing thing, and i havent ridden it yet......
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

have you cleaned your carb?
skeeter2
BMX
BMX

Post by skeeter2 »

:oops: honestly..... no. I didnt. I assumed that it was ok as it came off a running bike. I did however have it on my front seat to the scooter store yesterday. Will clean and report back....
skeeter2
BMX
BMX

Post by skeeter2 »

Ok cleaned the carb, and it hasnt made any difference. Im out of ideas.....
skeeter2
BMX
BMX

Post by skeeter2 »

problem solved! Used a different gauge, and i have 40psi for compression. Well that explains a lot. I just ordered another piston for the bore kit that was destroyed, so this is on hold until then.