Questions about unrestricting my Elite SE50P

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Maineiac
Noob
Noob

Questions about unrestricting my Elite SE50P

Post by Maineiac »

Hey all,

I have an Elite SE50P that I've had since I was about 15. I recently dragged it out of the shed and it started right up. I took the muffler off to see about removing the "washer", but mine doesnt seem to have one. At least not in the same place. Could it be elsewhere in the muffler?

I also removed the front clutch and did away with the three screws & cover / plate. It seems that when I accelerate from a stop, there is a slight "rumble", then it resumes smooth operation. Something slipping, or did I screw something up? I can say my variator looked different than the one shown in the scootertherapy.com guide.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Re: Questions about unrestricting my Elite SE50P

Post by Fishman43 »

Welcome to the forum. Are you in Maine...iac?

I parted out a 50P last year that did not have the washer in the pipe, but the pipe was one size all the way from the exhaust flange to the chamber as apposed to the non-restricted pipes that had a few step ups in size along the way. So scheck your pipe to see if the diameter changes from the manifold to the exhaust chamber or not.

Not sure what the "rumble" is you speak of. First thoughts are old worm rollers in the variator, or an old belt that slaps a little bit before completely hooking up.
Maineiac
Noob
Noob

Post by Maineiac »

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm in Maine.

I'll take a look at the pipe, will see if I can post a few photos this afternoon. As for the rumble, it didnt do it until I re-attached the clutch/pully. Strange. I did notice that the rollers had some flat spots on them....

The scooter itself has about 3,000 on it. I'd really like to get this thing above 27 MPH....
:lol:
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Post by Fishman43 »

New rollers and taking the plate off of the variator should get you above 27 no problem. Where in Maine are you? I am in Durham NH, not far from Kittery/Berwick area so if you ever need help local just let me know. Lord knows (but not my wife :wink: ) I have spent enough on the tools to fix these scoots, might as well share with a local if you are in the area.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

When you removed the o-ring cover, did you thoroughly de-grease the vario and the rollers? If not, there'll be a bit of a mess spun-spattered inside the belt case. Belts don't like grease...
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Fishman43 wrote:New rollers and taking the plate off of the variator should get you above 27 no problem.
No it won't. Your muffler and the ramp plate in variator are going to keep you around 25 mph.
The rumble might be noise from the front drive face if it wasn't all the way on the splines of the crank = stripped :shock:
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
Maineiac
Noob
Noob

Post by Maineiac »

Wasnt stripped, looks like it may have been some grease that got in there.

So, the bottom line is that I;m going to need:

1.) New ramp plate
2.) New Exhaust

Correct?

Any recommendations as to parts I can find to tune this thing up a bit? Should I look into a Keli variator? Air Filter?
Maineiac
Noob
Noob

Post by Maineiac »

Fishman43 wrote:New rollers and taking the plate off of the variator should get you above 27 no problem. Where in Maine are you? I am in Durham NH, not far from Kittery/Berwick area so if you ever need help local just let me know. Lord knows (but not my wife :wink: ) I have spent enough on the tools to fix these scoots, might as well share with a local if you are in the area.
I appreciate that offer. I'm in Bridgton.

I grew up in Old Orchard Beach, so 27 MPH was plenty. Out here, I've got hills and long country roads.....the extra MPH would be nice. :lol:
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Post by Fishman43 »

Maineiac wrote: I appreciate that offer. I'm in Bridgton.
A little bit of a hike from here, but if the tools are needed I am sure we could sort something out. We have an office in Conway that I have to travel to sometimes.
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Post by Fishman43 »

Here is a variator to help in your quest for higher speed:

http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =2&t=14743
gixxer9
BMX
BMX

Post by gixxer9 »

Maineiac wrote:Any recommendations as to parts I can find to tune this thing up a bit? Should I look into a Keli variator? Air Filter?
My 87 Elite Iowa model buries the speedo (35mph unit) with two mods: Keli variator with ramp plate, and an se50 muffler. I found the muffler from a member on this site a couple weeks ago....

They're still out there, and as MartynKim has proven, you can also use an Aero pipe with the only apparent difference being the kickstand rubber vibration bumper that can be remedied with a piece of rubber hose.
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Post by odinxxix »

im not familar with the se50p,but does it have the washer that can be ground out of the pipe? if so go that route and see what you get. maybe modify your air box and up jet the carb.
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

No Washer you need an Aero pipe up jet to 85 and a keli vari leave the air box alone.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
gixxer9
BMX
BMX

Post by gixxer9 »

martynkim wrote:No Washer you need an Aero pipe up jet to 85 and a keli vari leave the air box alone.
Werd.