Starts & idles, won't rev

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

MRO
Noob
Noob

Starts & idles, won't rev

Post by MRO »

I was given an '87 Spree as a "gift." It starts and idles all right and revs up (some) when the throttle is cranked open, but then immediately dies.

New spark plug, new petcock, good gas. I have cleaned the carburetor several times and the main jet is clear. It acts like there is a fuel restriction, but by slipping the little clear plastic drain tube upwards and opening the bowl drain, I can see that the gas level in the bowl is holding high and steady... this tells me that there is gas in the bowl at least.

In reading other posts on the Forum, I see mention of "air leaks" but I'm not really sure what to look for. At the moment, the air intake is completely open, no air filter even.

One more thing that might be significant... the idle valve has to be screwed in almost all the way. Backing it out by even a turn causes the idle to drop off.

I don't know much about engines so I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks-
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: Starts & idles, won't rev

Post by martynkim »

Get the filter in and the box cover on you will see a dramatic difference.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
MRO
Noob
Noob

Post by MRO »

Wow, you were right. I only have the filter (no lid) but putting the filter in place helped a lot. Thanks!
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

Sprees especially really like to have the full airbox setup. Its advisable to keep an eye open for the bits you are missing on eBay or add a wanted post on here.
Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc