Won't start, no fuel in the carb

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

a9110108
Noob
Noob

Won't start, no fuel in the carb

Post by a9110108 »

Replaced throttle cable. Now won't start. No fuel in the carb (bowl) after cranking. How do I get fuel to the carb?
toad772
Elite
Elite

Re: Won't start, no fuel in the carb

Post by toad772 »

a9110108 wrote:Replaced throttle cable. Now won't start. No fuel in the carb (bowl) after cranking. How do I get fuel to the carb?
Take the carb off and take it apart and clean it out check fuel lines for clogs put carb back on hook it up and see if it is fixed
PS3 it only does everything.
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fightingplankton »

after taking my carb off for cleaning, i always prime it by sucking on the lower hose from the petcock to create vacuum to let the fuel flow into the carb...thats just me though.
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
toad772
Elite
Elite

Post by toad772 »

actually check the fuel lines first
toad772
Elite
Elite

Post by toad772 »

fightingplankton wrote:after taking my carb off for cleaning, i always prime it by sucking on the lower hose from the petcock to create vacuum to let the fuel flow into the carb...thats just me though.
yeah doing that might be a good idea my petcock is screwed so fuel flows all the time so I don't have to.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

The first question no one asked, is the fuel in the fuel line? If not either the petcock is screwed of the screen in the tank is plugged or the tank is empty. Screwing with the carb until you prove there is fuel in the line shows a lack of logic and troubleshooting skills. :eyeroll: If there is fuel in the fuel ine, then check the needle and seat in the carb.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
toad772
Elite
Elite

Post by toad772 »

Bear45-70 wrote:The first question no one asked, is the fuel in the fuel line? If not either the petcock is screwed of the screen in the tank is plugged or the tank is empty. Screwing with the carb until you prove there is fuel in the line shows a lack of logic and troubleshooting skills. :eyeroll: If there is fuel in the fuel ine, then check the needle and seat in the carb.
My second post said "actually check the fuel lines first"
a9110108
Noob
Noob

Post by a9110108 »

Fuel lines are dry. They are not clogged. Fuel is in tank. Visibly checked screens in tank and they did not appear to be blocked. How would I check the petcock? Should I just buy another one?

I'll try sucking on the lines...that should be fun!
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

No need to suck on the lines to prime. Just place your hand over the opening of the carb and if all is working correct, it will pull gas in to it.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

martynkim wrote:No need to suck on the lines to prime. Just place your hand over the opening of the carb and if all is working correct, it will pull gas in to it.
With no fuel in the carb or the fuel line, hand over anything is not gonna prime anything because there has to be fuel in the carb for the hand choke trick to work on.

Your petcock is frozen closed, allowing no fuel to reach the carb. Either work it over and get it open or replace it.

You only suck on the line from the intake manifold up to the bottom of the petcock. It is the vacuum line that is suppose to open the petcock.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Saved
Spree
Spree

Post by Saved »

Make sure you didn't mix the fuel and vac lines up. I did this once. It wasn't fun.
In the barn::
2001 Honda Elite
2002 Yamaha Vino
2007 Roketa Sicily
2006 Ninja 250

Special thanks to:
Workdog & Iggysepia for parts & quick shipping.
Evilone for buying my SA50P.
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Bear45-70 wrote:
martynkim wrote:No need to suck on the lines to prime. Just place your hand over the opening of the carb and if all is working correct, it will pull gas in to it.
With no fuel in the carb or the fuel line, hand over anything is not gonna prime anything because there has to be fuel in the carb for the hand choke trick to work on.

Your petcock is frozen closed, allowing no fuel to reach the carb. Either work it over and get it open or replace it.

You only suck on the line from the intake manifold up to the bottom of the petcock. It is the vacuum line that is suppose to open the petcock.

This is why I said if all is working correct.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I suggest you remove and pour out the fuel tank. Then remove the petcock and see if an overnight in NAPA carb dunk will resurrect it. I've gotten a couple to work this way, along with patient poking with sharp Wheel-stick. Some people say the NAPA carb dunk will ruin the diaphragm. I say:

1. Those people are incorrect.
2. It already ain't workin', so whaddya got to lose?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fightingplankton »

has anyone suggested the in-tank fuel filter yet?
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

I suggest you remove and pour out the fuel tank. Then remove the petcock and see if an overnight in NAPA carb dunk will resurrect it. I've gotten a couple to work this way, along with patient poking with sharp Wheel-stick. Some people say the NAPA carb dunk will ruin the diaphragm. I say:

1. Those people are incorrect.
2. It already ain't workin', so whaddya got to lose?
I've also used WD-40 to clean out petcocks. Its worked great and saved the rubber diaphram from melting away.

If you must suck on those lines, make sure you suck on the one that on the lowest position of the petcock. And whatever you do dont blow into the gas line unless you like a mouthful of gas :oops: Dont ask me how I know :oops: