NVM please delete

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

SPREEtown
Spree
Spree

NVM please delete

Post by SPREEtown »

so my 86 nifty is getting new crank bearings. i am trying to wrap my head around this, it will deff. be my most complex project on an internal combustion. heres my list of needs:

Parts-
left and right bearings- i was talking to someone who suggested non-oem generic sealed bearings at a fraction of the price, but i dont have any info.
left and right seals
gasket

tools- any tool #'s or specs would be good, i might be able to get them from a lend-a-tool at an auto supply store
puller
splitter
driver
the honda manual has some other specific tools such as an assembly collar and bolt...?

any tips, corrections, info, would be appreciated!
Last edited by SPREEtown on Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1986 Spree SE:
  • pulley mod
    '85 head
    SB50 intake, reeds, carb
    UNI filter
    44mm bbk
    3x10 conti zipps
    next:
    taz gears, sa50 clutch w/ 2k springs
mopar4u
Spree
Spree

Re: spree crank bearing replacement: help

Post by mopar4u »

Have a copy of the manual in front of you. you list a puller but you need 2 pullers, bearing puller and flywheel puller. Not sure if the new bearings get pressed to a certain location?? Use 2 stroke oil on everything when reassembling. Oil the new crank seals before assembly. Clean all mating surfaces good. Any air leaks will cause a burn down. Follow a break in procedure.

not sure about getting sealed bearings. All 2 stroke bearings i've seen have no seals and get oiled from the oil/gas injected into the engine.

Why do you think you need new crank bearings?

I've worked on a ton of 2 stroke snowmobiles, I will do everything but crank work. I bring it to a reputable shop, they can check the runout, straighten if needed, check the bearings, replace bearings if needed etc

Good luck, hope it goes well :2thumbs:
SPREEtown
Spree
Spree

Re: spree crank bearing replacement: help

Post by SPREEtown »

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12630

^^the last couple pages of that thread has led me to where i stand today. but suffice to say strange tapping and play on the crankshaft; and at 3.5k miles it couldnt hurt.

and i do know of the of the need for 2 pullers, but thanks for clarifying :)

i got quoted about $30 parts(this includes the sealed bearings) + 3x $85/hr. even with the state of disassembly that the engine now resides in, i would imagine it would take an 1+ or $115-$170. unless there is a kind soul in the seattle, wa area to access to tools and knowhow...
1986 Spree SE:
  • pulley mod
    '85 head
    SB50 intake, reeds, carb
    UNI filter
    44mm bbk
    3x10 conti zipps
    next:
    taz gears, sa50 clutch w/ 2k springs