MOPEDS WEAK AGAIN AHH!!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Jonathan
Noob
Noob

MOPEDS WEAK AGAIN AHH!!

Post by Jonathan »

Man, remember my last post (just got my moped back and its weak) well u guys helped me fix it by cleaning the air filter and got it running super again, but in the last like 2 days my 84 honda spree just died, now it wont go up hills at all and on flat it tops at 15 ARGH! Mabey its cuz it has 8000 miles on it but i attemped to clean the carb but i barely knew what i was doing. I would just take my moped back to Big Vally Honda but i just got it back from there about 3 weeks ago (from the crash) and it took them over 2 months to fix my spree. Can u guys please help me to get my spree up on its feet again? Thanks
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

go to tech documents and read how to clean the carb, it helped me. make sure there are NO PLASTIC OR RUBBER PARTS WHEN USING CARB CLEANER,it will eat right through the float,o-rings exc.also check the plug.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Check your compression, should be between 100 - 120 PSI. At that milage you may need new rings.
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

If the carb cleaning helped it before, chances are the rings are good. I'm placing money on fuel system
Scoot safely
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Seems like these carb cleanings need to be done repeatedly. Are people just running with rusty tanks and replugging up their carbs?
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

That's probably part of it. Sitting for a while gums the innards up also. Biggest part (my opinion) is failure to properly clean the air filter. Don't forget that you're sucking dust and dirt right off the back tire area. Once I completely clean each carb in the spring, I don't normally have problems for the entire summer. Of course, I'm putting miles on all the machines each and every day. Constantly filling with gas so that may help to flush out contaminants.
Scoot safely
Jonathan
Noob
Noob

Post by Jonathan »

well, I cleaned the carb and it didnt really do anything. How do I check the compression, and if its to low what do I do to fix it? Thanks fot all of the help guys!
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Find someone local that works on cars/bikes and borrow it/them. They should be able to show you how. Otherwise most autoparts places sell them for around $30.

I'd recheck your idle jet, as Jerry suggested. Most of the running problems seem to be carb related on this bike.
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

It only takes a few minutes to check the compression. Find the tool first, screw it into the spark plug hole. Open the throttle fully. Crank for 20 to 30 seconds and read what the guage says. Less than 90 and it will forever run poorly, if at all. Over 120 and you're carboned up.
Any service facility has a compression guage. Auto zone and Advance Auto in this area "loan" tools. You pay the price of the tool but get a full refund when you return it. That may be an option for you.
Scoot safely
Jonathan
Noob
Noob

Post by Jonathan »

Wait so if the compression is less than 90 theres no way to fix it? nothing??
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

yes, you can get a new set of piston rings at your local honda dealership. this is probably not the cause but make sure all the lines for oil are hooked up, especially the small one that comes out of the intake for vacume.i had this problem and when i hooked it up it was like new.also someone, i forgot who told me that if the oil pump o-ring is worn it dumps oil into the bottom end and it has no power. does your spree drip oil?to test if is getting too much oil pull the plug out and crank it. if oil gushes out of the spark plug hole too much oil is your problem.