Please Help

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

runningbear
Noob
Noob

Please Help

Post by runningbear »

I got an 87 elite 50 given to me... the person that had it before me really destroied it.. But I got it to start, it ran for about 30-45 seconds... I could slowly give some throttle, and eventually it went poof and died... I pulled the carb to clean, when I took carb off, a small piece of the hard gasket broke off.. Now, I get nothing, I have great fire, good compression, getting plenty of fuel.. Could the hard gasket that broke be the problem? Getting too much air? I notice that when I try to kick it, you can hear air... Any and all help is appreciated...

Thanks

Runningbear
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: Please Help

Post by martynkim »

Yup, need to fix that carb.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

was it a brown plastic piece with an o-ring?
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

need new gasket hands down any air leak is a BAD air leak replace asap sounds like you have another one as well more then likely your air box but first thing is get a new reed cage gasket
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

When you reinstalled the carb did you get the brown carb spacer with "O" ring in with the right side to the manifold and right side up or you will sure have an air leak that will prevent starting.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
runningbear
Noob
Noob

Post by runningbear »

yes when I reinstalled the carb I got the brown gasket in right, but the hard plastic one is the one that a piece broke off of... not a big piece but big enough that you can see the rubber o-ring... I was thinking that was the problem, but wanted another opinion first..
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

runningbear wrote:yes when I reinstalled the carb I got the brown gasket in right, but the hard plastic one is the one that a piece broke off of... not a big piece but big enough that you can see the rubber o-ring... I was thinking that was the problem, but wanted another opinion first..
If it is broke enough to see the O-ring then it most likely is not sealing. With shorter scews and can run without one until you can get another. It's a heat barrier only, to keep heat away from the carb
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
86spreezy
Noob
Noob

Post by 86spreezy »

The problem is that u broke something n now the solution is to get a that broken peice replaced
runningbear
Noob
Noob

Post by runningbear »

yeah the problem is that the thing is broken... the people who had this did alot of strange things... I need alot of help... ordered a gasket for the manifold/carb connection... one bolt from manifold to carb is stripped... they really did a number on this bike... I need a pic showing where all carb lines go... they have the oil line removed from carb and plugged up... mixed gas and oil together.. so I emptied tank, replaced with fresh gas.. but 1st things 1st... until the gasket comes in there is really nothing to try... I did take a piece of rubber radiator hose, and cut a gasket out of it for a temp thing... hooked the carb back up and got a pop the first kick.. no more poofing of air coming from mani/carb...

battery is dead, going to put on charge for a while, the time I did get it to fire up before cleaning the carb, only thing on dash that worked was headlight, the brights indicator was on... nothing else on dash was working... fuse???

also, the rear brake cable.. you can squeeze it and its on the grip... how can I tighten it to work so I know that I am getting it to allow for it to start...

Also are there any downloads I can do that show step by step where all wires run, like a diagram, any pics of the carbs... any hints to fine tuning it before running... could I have adjusted the carb so far off when I cleaned it, that would make it not start?

Going to post pics of this mountian I am trying to climb...

thanks to everyone for all of the help...

Runningbear
runningbear
Noob
Noob

Post by runningbear »

this is what I have to work with...
Attachments
100_0997.JPG
100_0997.JPG (131.23 KiB) Viewed 5259 times
100_0996.JPG
100_0996.JPG (119.18 KiB) Viewed 5259 times
100_0995.JPG
100_0995.JPG (150.73 KiB) Viewed 5260 times
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

wow... first um does ur oil pump work cause if they pre mix there are 3 reasons for that, big bore probley not, bad/no oil pump or they are f**king stupid. check this first or it could be bad....
Last edited by fastplastic on Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

o your stripped out carb is simple fix and very common problem, get a 6-1.0x30 to 45mm bolt (i cant remember what the lengh is sorry) and a nut to match problem solved
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

also, the rear brake cable.. you can squeeze it and its on the grip... how can I tighten it to work so I know that I am getting it to allow for it to start...

adjust the rear brake cable nut found by the back tire and u could just kick it and worry about that another time, but all that should do is cut the starter out if its not held, i dont think you need to worry as long as ele. start rolls it over then it will allow it to run if the conditions are right. not sure if that is clear but if your electric start rolls the motor over then thats all u need
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

From your pics, it looks like you have a 94-01 elite s
Take a pic of your whole scooter and a pic of the transmission cover

Does is read AF16E or AF05E?

It does not look like you have an '87 elite 50.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I can't see the belt cover in the pic well enough, but it appears not to be a 2-piece cover. The frame is tubular. That makes it an '88-93 Elite.

The model code should be under the saddle somewhere. I'm guessing SA50 or SA50P. The VIN sticker should have a model year to verify.

One thing not mentioned is that your pic doesn't show an airbox. If it was run without one, that's a bigger deal than you might think, particularly if it's a P model with its #68 jet. The "P" airbox inlet is pretty small, and that helps the small Main jet deliver sufficient fuel. Without it, the bike's probably running dangerously lean. You really should check the number on that main jet and get some sort of filter on that carb. A pod filter on those years might need as big as a 91 to stay cool.

If the brakes are worn all the way, you may be past the point where it can be adjusted. Pull the wheel and see that you have at least 1.5mm of lining thickness remaining, otherwise it's under $15 for shoes.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH