modifying plastics

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

mopar4u
Spree
Spree

modifying plastics

Post by mopar4u »

I put a 80cc 4 stroke in my spree. I'm having problems with the plastic rubbing on the exhaust even after cutting a considerable amount off.

1. Will the plastic melt on the exhaust?
2. Is there anyway to put a "bulge" in the side of the plastic. Kind of like you see on car hoods http://www.usbody.com/images/RBH-7S.gif
Wheelman-111

Re: modifying plastics

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

If the plastic is ABS, then yes, it is possible. I experimented with sad Aero scrap after I did a Massive Carb cutout. :oops: A paint-stripper heat gun, deftly applied, followed by pressure with some sort of shaping tool will produce said bulge. However you're probably going to ruin the paint, and you only get one shot.

I had better luck pulling a nasty dent left in the bumper cover of the Family Fun-Wagon by some ne'er-do-well hit-and-run scoundrel. You literally cannot see the foot-wide indentation he left me.
SubaruBumper.jpg
SubaruBumper.jpg (207.06 KiB) Viewed 1952 times
The left foglamp remains a bit *, however.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
mopar4u
Spree
Spree

Post by mopar4u »

Will the abs plastic melt on the exhaust?
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

nvm look down :2thumbs:
Last edited by fastplastic on Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS) (chemical formula (C8H8)x┬À (C4H6)y┬À(C3H3N)z) is a common thermoplastic used to make light, rigid, molded products such as piping (for example plastic pressure pipe systems), musical instruments (most notably recorders and plastic clarinets), golf club heads (used for its good shock absorbance), automotive body parts, wheel covers, enclosures, protective headgear, buffer edging for furniture and joinery panels, Thule boxes, airsoft BBs, kitchen appliances (such as juicers), and toys, including Lego bricks.[1] Its melting point is approximately 221┬░F (105┬░C) (Thanks wikipeadia) best question is does your exhaust get over 200 degress if yes it will melt