WIRING HONDA ELITE IGNITION

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

shortcal
Goped
Goped

WIRING HONDA ELITE IGNITION

Post by shortcal »

I bought an elite and the wiring harness in the front was cut and the ignition was hooked up to a switch. I removed the switch and bought a new ignition. I now have all the wires hooked up but I cannot get it wired correctly. I have the 2 black/white stripe wires ran into one and hooked them all up into the ignition switch but the moped still starts with or without the key. The moped will actually kick start when all of the wires including the black/white stripe separated so I dont know whats going on. If someone could give me some input that would be great.

2001 Honda Elite
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: WIRING HONDA ELITE IGNITION

Post by mousewheels »

Hi,
Here is a diagram for an ignition switch retrofit. For you interest in "Killing" the kickstart with the ignition off, note how the Black/White wire needs to be tied to frame ground.
Attachments
IgnitionSwitchRetrofit.jpg
IgnitionSwitchRetrofit.jpg (24.43 KiB) Viewed 6337 times
shortcal
Goped
Goped

Post by shortcal »

so basically I am correct by wiring both black/white wires together and running them up to the new ignition switch? If that is indeed the case the engine is still not functioning correctly. Could it possibly have something to do with the on off switch?>
2001 Honda Elite
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

shortcal wrote:so basically I am correct by wiring both black/white wires together and running them up to the new ignition switch? If that is indeed the case the engine is still not functioning correctly. Could it possibly have something to do with the on off switch?>
The black /white wires are engine kill when grounded. (the green wire is ground)

The red wire supplies +12v to the black wire when the ignition is swicthed on
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Make sure that there are actually 2 black/white wires and one of them is not just black. The black wire is switched 12 volts and connects to the red 12 volts wire from the battery via the fuse thru the ignition switch. That wiring rats nest pretty much means they didn't have a clue of how this system works. My Aero 50 was wired with 3 toggles and wouldn't crank because they had the start switch connected to +12 volts instead of ground and of course cranking would not have helped because they had the black/white wire grounded. These things are not a car and work totally different.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree