Newb with a few questions

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

othius
Noob
Noob

Post by othius »

Noiseguy- Thanks for the tips. I've contacted greg about some parts.

One question: I was reading on scooter therapy about how the piston can melt if it's running too lean and that kinda freaks me out.
The previous owner ran the scoot without the airbox attached. Could this have melted the piston and this be my problem?

I really hope not. what sypmtoms would I have if the piston were melted?

thx
uspmale
Spree
Spree

Post by uspmale »

Pistons will score and seize before they melt. If your engine turns over smooth with the spark plug removed it's not melted.
A quick and easy way to tell how the cylinder condition is is to remove the 4 bolts on top of engine, remove head only and inspect piston- cylinder for scratches and wear.
Good luck, let us know what you find. greg
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

If he was running it without the airbox I can almost guarentee that the main jet's been changed or drilled. Pull it and check the number.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
gman75
Goped
Goped

Post by gman75 »

Let me know too! I am having poor top end problems also.
Scooter-less
othius
Noob
Noob

Post by othius »

Ok, I've let her sit for a few weeks, I've had a ton of research to do, and the other day it warmed up a bit so I thought I'd see what was the deal.
I've played a bit with the idle screw, etc and it seems to have a bit better pick up, in fact I got it up to about 21-22mph which was pretty cool as it was previously bogging at 15. At 21-22 it wouldn't go much faster, just didn't have the ompfh.

THen I let it sit for 1/2 hour and started it up again.. again with starter fluid... can't seem to get it off that stuff, and this time it was a total slug. I wouldn't get past 10!

Then another few hours later it was back to 20 ish.

Any thoughts? I don't know but I feel like it built up compression as it was running and was then able to get some power.... but then again, I don't really know much about these.

cheers-