Gas dumping out the carb

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

papalobster
Noob
Noob

Gas dumping out the carb

Post by papalobster »

My 86 runs and drives, but while idling, gas dumps out the carb inlt. I'm thinking needle/seat and a new float. Anyone else have this problem? How about part numbers for the needle/seat and float?
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

It depends on where the gas is coming from. Check the drain screw on the bottom of the bowl if it's coming from the drain tube. Are the two bowl screws tight? If it's leaking around the intake snorkel, the reeds are probably gone. At higher RPMs the vacuum would suck in the backdraft and not be visible.
The part numbers are available somewhere on the net - maybe there is a link in the FAQ section, I haven't tried looking for it but I remember some discussion about it.
Scoot safely
Jhoodwink
Noob
Noob

Gas on carburetor bottom

Post by Jhoodwink »

Well my Spree is running great now with the new carburetor and throttle cable. It hits right at 30 mph at full throttle. I love this little thing. I just went into my garage though and noticed a gas smell. At the bottom of the carburetor bowl there is a drop or two of gas. I noticed there is a nipple at the bottom of the carburetor, for the overflow I assume? I have nothing hooked there yet should I just run a hose from there down below the bike for overflow. What is the lower screw on the carburetor, below the air screw? Is that the drain screw? Thanks for all your help. Once I get this to stop dripping I will take it out on that 20 mile ride to test it out.

Sure seems to be running like a champ though :)
Kikwear
Spree
Spree

Post by Kikwear »

My Spree hits 33 mph with no air filter and a cracked exhaust flange. Can't wait to see what it does when everything is in working order. Don't you just love un-hacking someone else's half assed s*** when you buy something?
Jhoodwink
Noob
Noob

Air Filter

Post by Jhoodwink »

I wouldn't run it without a air filter. As much dirt and grit that comes off that back tire your working your way to a rebuild. Jerry really stresses that it makes your bike run lean too, so I wouldn't keep that up.

James :-)
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

if you run it lean there is a good chance you will blow a hole in the piston.
papalobster
Noob
Noob

Post by papalobster »

As much that comes out leads me to believe it is NOT the reeds! It comes out by the intake snorkle. It also drains while the engine is not running until the vacuum shutoff to carb feed tube empties. So this leads me to believe it is the float/needle. Does anyone have the part #'s for those 2 pieces My local Honda dealer employs a whole parts department of morons so I'd rather not go there.
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

carb

Post by darat »

i think it is the float sticking
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

Perhaps there is a piece of foreign matter keeping the float needle from completely shutting off the fuel. Without a positive shutoff, the carb is going to allow fuel flow until the fuel hose empties.
I had one bike that the needle wouldn't shut off completely along with a bad fuel shutoff valve. I had to completely disassemble the engine and drain the fuel out of the case. What a mess.......
Scoot safely