Elite 80 Problems

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

CincyElite80
Noob
Noob

Elite 80 Problems

Post by CincyElite80 »

Last year a friend of ours gave us their Honda Elite 80 scooter which they bought new in 2000. The scooter had a whopping 72 miles on it when we got. It wouldn't start when we took possession of it because it hadn't been started in who knows how many years.

We removed the carb and cleaned it very well. We replaced the battery because we figured it was shot since it sat for a very long time undercharged. The scooter always seemed to have a cold starting issue but once it started up it ran great and would start back up easily if warm. Well the winter came and the scooter was stored. In the spring we prepped it for the season but found that it was hard to start and the battery would not hold a charge. We left it be and by the time we knew it the summer was here and it was too warm for my wife to ride.

So here we are again trying to get it fixed so she can ride it in this nicer weather. We had the battery tested at Advance Auto and they stated the battery was low on charge but was in good shape and just to charge it good before putting into service. I bought a Battery Tender Jr to keep the battery charged above 80% so it didn't go bad but mainly to keep the battery fresh for when we need it to run.

I charged the battery up to the point where the battery tender states it is charged. The engine starts strong but doesn't stay running for long. I can't keep it running because one blip of the throttle just kills it. If I let it idle w/o giving any throttle it dies as well. Then upon starting for the second time the starter won't even turn over. It is like the battery goes dead after starting the engine once.

I found in the service manual that I can check the resistance of the regulator/rectifier and bystarter. I don't know where to begin with the alternator system.

Any ideas what the problem is? Your help is appreciated. I know Honda makes a good product but I just don't know where to begin with the troubleshooting.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Elite 80 Problems

Post by Bear45-70 »

Do the carb again following the instructions in Wikispeedia. This is not an electrical problem.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
CincyElite80
Noob
Noob

Post by CincyElite80 »

OK. I will clean it tomorrow and let you know the outcome.

I understand how a faulty carb would not allow it to run but how would it cause the engine not to turn over on the second attempt.

I will get on this tomorrow and report back. Thanks Again.
mopar4u
Spree
Spree

Post by mopar4u »

I have an elite 80 in my spree chasis. I went through my carb and when I put it all back together I had the same issue where I could get the engine started but would die with out throttle and would die when giving it throttle. I tried turning up the idle screw to compensate. I found that turning the idle up acutally hurt the cold start. I turned the idle screw out to reduce idle and now it will start first time and idle on its own. If you removed the air screw make sure it is somewhere around 1 turn out.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

CincyElite80 wrote:OK. I will clean it tomorrow and let you know the outcome.

I understand how a faulty carb would not allow it to run but how would it cause the engine not to turn over on the second attempt.

I will get on this tomorrow and report back. Thanks Again.
Sounds like either a weak battery or a bad starter solenoid or starter. Only trouble shooting will tell.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
CincyElite80
Noob
Noob

Post by CincyElite80 »

I removed the carb and cleaned it out per the instructions. I had the battery hooked to the battery tender for well over 24 hrs. Upon starting the scooter the engine wouldn't even turn over. I had the battery checked before I started the carb cleaning and they said it was an ok battery. I tested the battery voltage after charging and it was 12.6V. I tried to start it and the engine would barely turn over. The battery voltage was then 11.7 V.

I borrowed a neighbors 4 wheeler battery and the scooter fired right up. I adjusted the idle to where it seemed to be the best. I will start it up again tomorrow morning to verify that it indeed starts with a different battery. I will then buy a new battery tomorrow in hopes of fixing the problem. I am thinking that with it hooked to a battery tender that the battery won't go bad as easy as it did this time (less than 1 yr old).

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I will keep you posted.

--Bill
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Well, first off your battery is BAD. 11.7 volts in dead as far as starting is concerned. A good battery will read 12.5 to 12.7 volts when fully charged and when you hit the starter and are cranking the motor will never drop below 10.5 volts. I will bet when you hit the start button, your battery is below 6 volts.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
CincyElite80
Noob
Noob

Post by CincyElite80 »

I installed the new battery and with the rebuilt carb the scooter starts like it never has before. I purchased a battery tender to keep this new battery fresh especially once it is put away for the winter. Thanks for all the help guys.

--Bill
Chicago Ben
Elite
Elite

Post by Chicago Ben »

hey bill, put some fresh gas in that thing too and take off the fuel petcock and check your fuel filter to make sure its clean
1995 SA50P
pop pulley
50mm Ruima
8.44:1 gears
PG Typhoon
1500k spring
1000k Polini triples
M Keli clutch
28mm Keihin PWK
OKO Polished intake
uni filter
CincyElite80
Noob
Noob

Post by CincyElite80 »

Chicago Ben wrote:hey bill, put some fresh gas in that thing too and take off the fuel petcock and check your fuel filter to make sure its clean
OK. We rode it for about 1/2 hr today and it is at 1/4 tank. It ran good and let me tell you it is much nicer when it starts w/o hassle. We will put some fresh gas in it this weekend. I'll check the filter as you have mentioned. Thanks for the tip.

--Bill