New To Forum- Need help with 87 Elite 150

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

swampdaddy
Noob
Noob

New To Forum- Need help with 87 Elite 150

Post by swampdaddy »

I recently purchased a 1987 Honda Elite 150 scooter that wasn't running. Me and a buddy were going to try to get the scooter running the other day and found that there was a hole in the piston. I was wondering what some of you recommend doing? I contacted several Honda dealerships that told me I can no longer get a piston for the scooter. What would be my best bet, or can anyone tell me where I can get parts for this scooter? Im not wanting to spend alot of money on it if I can help it. I had another person mention getting a whole new bigger bore rebuilding kit for it but Ive been unable to find on of those. It's kind of in my mind just to sell it as is but it's such a great looking scooter with only 4400 miles on it I would love to see it run again. Before I spend anymore money on it I would like to know around what this scooter would bring if it was running? Any help I could get would be greatly appreciated and if anyone is interested in buying this scooter as is let me know and I'll way my options. I'm in West Tennessee. Thanks
Wheelman-111

Re: New To Forum- Need help with 87 Elite 150

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Most of us have more experience with the 2-stroke line from Honda, but guys like Clivester know an awful lot about the 150 4-strokes as well. Whatever repair parts you acquire, you should consider the cause of the piston perforation with only 4400 miles logged. Until that is identified and corrected, chances are your shiny new slug will suffer the same fate.

It could be as simple as the (very) wrong spark plug/heat range, but it could be something even more costly than the new piston & cylinder. Oil pump or cooling system?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
nacree
Spree
Spree

Post by nacree »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CH150-Ho ... 414ff30ba7

You are not going to find a better price than that.

As to what caused the lean condition that burned the hole in the piston- the carburetor is mounted to a rubber intake boot that cracks and can cause a severely lean condition. I've seen in on Honda Elite 150s and 250s.

Good luck,

Nathan
swampdaddy
Noob
Noob

Post by swampdaddy »

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help. I'm fixing to order that part now. I will let ya know how things turn out.

Any suggestions on how to go about checking the oil pump or cooling system? Im not the best mechanic. lol I think I can handle checking to make sure its the right plug and the rubber boot at the carb.
novs86
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by novs86 »

swampdaddy wrote: I'm fixing to order that part now.
Just poking a little fun at ya.....

I hear this all the time now that I live in Texas.

Everyones always "fixing" to do things.........Just funny to me. :smile:

:b2t: :b2t:
I'd rather be riding my Aero!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Actually, the proper word is "Fidna".

As in, "I'm fidna swap me in a Dee-Yo".
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH