white smoke!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

scoot it
Noob
Noob

white smoke!

Post by scoot it »

Hi - I have a 1983 Honda Aero scooter. It runs fine and starts fine, but it blows white smoke all the time out of the exhaust and really heaves white smoke when I hit the throttle. I think this might be a problem with not enough oil getting into the engine? What do I adjust to try and fix this situation? I have the shop manual but want to make sure I'm about to attempt the right procedure. Thanks!
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Re: white smoke!

Post by odinxxix »

if you suspect not enough oil then i would start with the oil injector makw sure it is working correctly. then check to make sure oil is in it and the passages are not blocked.
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

First thing I would do is put oil in the tank to protect the engine until you confire you do or do not have an oil issue.

But I do not see how no oil would cause the engine to smoke. Besides white smoke is actually an indication you have water getting into the cylinder.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

It also indicates a leaky oil pump allowing oil in the cylinder while it is off. Mine does this every time it has sat for a week or more.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
scoot it
Noob
Noob

Post by scoot it »

Thank you - the scoot has been sitting for about 6 months so maybe that's part of the situation. I have two of these and one is blowing smoke and one isn't. Thanks for the help, although I'm not sure which answer to start with so maybe will just bring to scooter mechanic.
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

This is easy. Your scooter sat for 6 months and in that 6 months oil will slowly leak into the combustion chamber. When you go to start the scooter after sitting for 6 months all that oil is pushed into the muffler and that is where the smoke is coming from. The muffler heats up and then starts to smoke very bad. You can drill an extra hole in the back of the muffler and ride it for like an hour and it should clear up. Or just ride it and it will eventually go away.

Taz
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

Bear you know water does not make white smoke it makes white steam. lol..... :naughty: That usually only happens with vehicles that use a water cooling system and the head or head gasket is leaking but you know that homie. Just had to pull your chain a bit. :smile:

Taz
scoot it
Noob
Noob

Post by scoot it »

Thanks - that's what I was hoping was going on and I did plan on taking it out for a big ride to see if that cleared it out, but this scoot used to smoke a little blue smoke upon starting back when I rode it every day so I'm still thinking there could be a problem. My other Honda Aero doesn't smoke at all. Thanks for all the help! I'm a beginner at fixing on my own.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

tazland001 wrote:This is easy. Your scooter sat for 6 months and in that 6 months oil will slowly leak into the combustion chamber. When you go to start the scooter after sitting for 6 months all that oil is pushed into the muffler and that is where the smoke is coming from. The muffler heats up and then starts to smoke very bad. You can drill an extra hole in the back of the muffler and ride it for like an hour and it should clear up. Or just ride it and it will eventually go away.

Taz
Please explain how oil can leak into the combustion chamber. Crankcase sure, but the only way it can get into the combustion chamber is to be pumped there when the crankcase is pressurized when the piston drops in the cylinder bore.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

It is easy bear. Gravity draws the oil through the carb. You have never seen this? Wow that is crazy. Next time you run across a honda that has been sitting for a while and pull the muffler off and then kick start it and you will see a good amount of oil shoot out of the exhaust manifold. When I use to refurbish Japan scooters I would tip the scooters upside down and remove the plug to get all the oil out to avoid pushing the oil into the muffler. You know me Bear I dont make stuff up. ;]
You still da man Bear :thumbwink:

Taz
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

tazland001 wrote:It is easy bear. Gravity draws the oil through the carb. You have never seen this? Wow that is crazy. Next time you run across a honda that has been sitting for a while and pull the muffler off and then kick start it and you will see a good amount of oil shoot out of the exhaust manifold. When I use to refurbish Japan scooters I would tip the scooters upside down and remove the plug to get all the oil out to avoid pushing the oil into the muffler. You know me Bear I dont make stuff up. ;]
You still da man Bear :thumbwink:

Taz
I know the oil can end up in the chamber, but it sure as * can't leak into the chamber because the only way it can get into the chamber is if it is pumped into the chamber from the crankcase which is where a leaking oil pump will dump the oil. But never, ever into the combustion chamber unless you totally fill the crankcase, in which case the engine will hydro-lock and not turn over. I don't make this stuff up either.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

Bear I know you dont make stuff up. You are one smart dude. Yahh it usually just gets in the chamber and that is one problem for oil being pushed into the muffler.. if it is real bad the oil will get pushed up into the combustion chamber and the scoot will feel locked up just like you said. Next time you run across an old honda that been sitting take off the muffler and kick start the scoot and see how much oil come out the exhaust manifold. You will be suprised.

Taz
Horseracebill
Noob
Noob

Post by Horseracebill »

I have a 1986 Honda Aero 50 that has recently started to smoke I made sure it had oil in it and when I fold up the sea the open the spot where the oil goes in I could see there was a lot of oil around there and I'm thinking it's not pumping right or the lines clogged but I don't want to blow my engine up what should I do?
motormike

Post by motormike »

Hello Mr Horseracebill. :hi:
What you should do is: create your own thread in the same category "Technical Help" with a similar title about smoking exhaust.
Then you should tell us how long you've had the scooter.
What has been changed on the bike.
Be specific and thorough with info. about symptoms.
Your comment buried here at the end of this thread will die.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"