after years in storage...

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

mattman
BMX
BMX

after years in storage...

Post by mattman »

I recently bought a very low milage 1985 spree that has been sitting in storage since 1987. I'm trying to get the little guy back on the road. I have done similar projects but this is my first spree so I was wondering if there are any specific pitfalls I should look out for after prolonged storage. I'm going to start by replacing the fuel/oil lines and giving the tanks a good cleaning out. Also planing on replacing the tires but any other suggestions or comments are more than welcome. I'll post some pics in the build section when I get into it. Thanks!

PROBLEM: When I went to remove the carb I discovered that the the throttle valve assy. is stuck inside the carb. I was able to unscrew the cap and spray some carb cleaner down in there but its got me a bit worried, seems stuck pretty good.
Last edited by mattman on Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: after years in storage...

Post by eliteguy50 »

You will most likely need to clean the carburetor.
Clean out the oil strainer and fuel petcock when you clean the tanks. Prime the oil pump and new lines before starting. You can even run a light pre-mix if you are worried about bubbles in the line.
Check the air filter, it will need oiled, if not replaced.
Dump some 2t oil in the cylinder and rotate by hand before starting.
Check the transmission oil level.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

Nice find!

Everything eliteguy says is spot on, but I would just replace the the air filter if its been sitting as long as you say, don't bother trying to re-oil it. Also put a new spark plug in after putting oil in the cylinder (thread it carefully by hand and don't over torque it!).

Good luck, and don't forget to have fun :ndance:
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

mattman wrote:
PROBLEM: When I went to remove the carb I discovered that the the throttle valve assy. is stuck inside the carb. I was able to unscrew the cap and spray some carb cleaner down in there but its got me a bit worried, seems stuck pretty good.
I had the same problem with my Gyro. Alot of soaking and it finally came out. It was gummed up pretty good from sitting. Don't worry, it'll break free. :rock:
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
mattman
BMX
BMX

Post by mattman »

Spent my Sunday getting down to business with the spree. I pulled, drained, and cleaned the gas and oil tank. There was a good 1/8 inch of solid sludge caked on the bottom of the fuel tank, spent most of the day on the d*** thing. I put it all back together with new clear fuel/oil lines and installed an inline fuel filter because I'm sure there is still some gunk in the tank. Cleaned the carb, cleaned the carb, cleaned the carb. Seriously it was really bad.

So now after seeing how gummed up the carb was, I'm very worried that the oil pump is totally stuck. I poured some 2t oil in the cyl head and cranked it with out the plug. Turns over nice but I'm not ready to try to run it until I can test the oil pump somehow. It doesn't look like it's meant to be taken apart.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

The oil pump should be fine. Oil does not evaporate like gas so it does not leave the crap that gas does.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

If you want to test the oil pump, pull the oil line and put it in a can. Put premix in the fuel tank and run it on that so you don't starve the engine. The pump should push out a drop every 5 seconds or so, it doesn't take much but if there is oil coming out, it is working.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
mattman
BMX
BMX

Post by mattman »

exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks guys.
mattman
BMX
BMX

Post by mattman »

Has anyone made their own air filter element or should I just order an OEM one? Mine was so deteriorated that I had to vacuum it out of the airbox.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

These scooter engines are designed and jetted for the stock air box with filter to be in place. If you don't you have to rejet and chances are without exhaust changes and further tuning, you will more than likely have a loss of preformance, rather than a gain.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
mattman
BMX
BMX

Post by mattman »

I'm not looking for a gain in performance, simply a suitable replacement material so I don't have to wait for delivery. My auto parts store has a generic foam material used for making filter elements for chainsaws etc. Was thinking about cutting that to shape and giving it a try. I do however understand the importance of keeping a similar airflow to stock, I just have no point of reference as my filter has completely disintegrated.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Using an aftermarket filter WILL LEAN YOUR ENGINE OUT and can lead to a melted piston. Not recommended if you don't want your engine turned into a non-functioning rebuild case. 2 strokes are not 4 strokes and are very sensitive to tuning.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

I think he's asking about cutting the generic foam to fit the stock airbox. If you do that make sure you oil it, but I'd recommend playing it safe and ordering OEM. Not that much money, and you can always try honda dealers around you, I think the local place in the last town I lived had one in stock when I stopped in.
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
thadpk
Goped
Goped

Post by thadpk »

Agreed. Play it safe and get the OEM filter. I just picked up a few online for about 4 bucks a piece. Well worth it for the piece of mind.
'86 Spree NQ50 (Ported)
'86 Spree NQ50 Stock
mattman
BMX
BMX

Post by mattman »

Where did you get them for 4 bucks?