1987 Honda Elite SE50 Carb question

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Feral_Sparky
Goped
Goped

1987 Honda Elite SE50 Carb question

Post by Feral_Sparky »

Hello there everyone. My stock carb threads had stripped out, and had been using alot of gas. And I mean ALOT of gas, I was getting around 40mpg.

Well I ordered a whole new carb, including needle, etc.

Anyways. it does not want to idle properly. Nor does it want to take off and cruise properly. Its a brand new unused carb right from the dealer. Could it still be dirty? When I put the new carb on I did make sure to use the needle that came with it.

Also my old carb would die when I turned off the engine then turned it back on a few minutes later. I figured it was from using to much gas. But like a similar post if I pulled the vacuum line it would almost instantly run better for a little bit and it would idle like a champ.

Any thoughts?
1987 Honda Elite SE50
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: 1987 Honda Elite SE50 Carb question

Post by Bear45-70 »

Feral_Sparky wrote:Hello there everyone. My stock carb threads had stripped out, and had been using alot of gas. And I mean ALOT of gas, I was getting around 40mpg.

Well I ordered a whole new carb, including needle, etc.

Anyways. it does not want to idle properly. Nor does it want to take off and cruise properly. Its a brand new unused carb right from the dealer. Could it still be dirty? When I put the new carb on I did make sure to use the needle that came with it.

Also my old carb would die when I turned off the engine then turned it back on a few minutes later. I figured it was from using to much gas. But like a similar post if I pulled the vacuum line it would almost instantly run better for a little bit and it would idle like a champ.

Any thoughts?
Is it the exact same make and model number as the original carb? If not, regardless of the claims of the seller, it is not the same, so jetting could be wrong, the needle could be different. High idle is caused by to much air getting into the intake. Vacuum leak or slide not installed correctly will cause this.

Why did you replace the carb in the first place? At least 95 percent of carbs replaced did not need to be replaced, only cleaned or repaired.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Feral_Sparky
Goped
Goped

Post by Feral_Sparky »

The threads had come out of the carb and I have had it held together with zip ties.

When I bought it, the carb was coated with Ethanol Residue, it caked everything. I was never able to get it all removed. So it did not run properly.

I took apart my fuel petcock and filter and cleaned it, was pretty nasty as I had not cleaned it since getting the scoot. And right away, the scooter started to run 100% better. No idea why, Just running great after clearing out the filter.
1987 Honda Elite SE50
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Feral_Sparky wrote:The threads had come out of the carb and I have had it held together with zip ties.

When I bought it, the carb was coated with Ethanol Residue, it caked everything. I was never able to get it all removed. So it did not run properly.

I took apart my fuel petcock and filter and cleaned it, was pretty nasty as I had not cleaned it since getting the scoot. And right away, the scooter started to run 100% better. No idea why, Just running great after clearing out the filter.
zip ties will not work. You need to either retap the holes to 1/4X20 or use Helicoils.

Ethonal residue is easy to remove, you just need to use a carb cleaner that soaks the carb, the spray carp will not do the job.

You still haven't answered the question about the carb.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Feral_Sparky
Goped
Goped

Post by Feral_Sparky »

It is not the same make and model carb. And its a little hard to properly repair a carb when your stuck on the side of the road 40 miles from home. I had to improvise a solution to get home. And I made sure it was tight. I never intended on keeping it as a permanent solution to my problem.

And before you say something like "I should have asked someone with a vehicle to bring me home". I had no-one to rely on. Just moved down by myself and I was in the middle of no-where.

I dont want that to sound like im getting all defensive. I just wanted to let you know the situation that caused me to do what I did :)
1987 Honda Elite SE50
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Feral_Sparky wrote:... And its a little hard to properly repair a carb when your stuck on the side of the road 40 miles from home. I had to improvise a solution to get home. ...
I've done that to get by too. Good and tight with zip strips then a little tape to seal it up. Good enough to get home. :thumbwink:

I ended up using bolts with nuts and some loctite to get everything back in order.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

You would be better off pitching the new one and repairing the old one.
just my 2 cents
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
spree-rider
Elite
Elite

Post by spree-rider »

Bear45-70 wrote:
Feral_Sparky wrote:The threads had come out of the carb and I have had it held together with zip ties.

zip ties will not work. You need to either retap the holes to 1/4X20 or use Helicoils.

Ethonal residue is easy to remove, you just need to use a carb cleaner that soaks the carb, the spray carp will not do the job.

Heli coil?
You still haven't answered the question about the carb.
86 spree
sb 50 intake and reeds
3.00x10 rear tire
waxed

99Polaris indy 700
harliquim paint
2" bar riser
lefty throttle
ice scratchers
SLP tri keel skis
ported
high compression head
chrome low windshield
mountain bar
Xtra-10
I ALWAYS KEEP ONE ROLLED
Feral_Sparky
Goped
Goped

Post by Feral_Sparky »

martynkim wrote:You would be better off pitching the new one and repairing the old one.
just my 2 cents
Well its my only mode of transportation and I have work to do, and no time to do any more repairs, so its just going to have to work till I can get it fixed. No options left for the next week till I get some more free time.
1987 Honda Elite SE50