My First Dio :) ?? 1998 Elite SR?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Ricerider
Spree
Spree

My First Dio :) ?? 1998 Elite SR?

Post by Ricerider »

Found this heap online for $100, been sitting outside with no airbox :roll:
Owner said it was a elite SR 98', dont know what that meant but it had AF16e stamped on the engine so I bought it.
Got the motor broke loose with oil in the cylinder, rocking it back and forth... compression started to come up :)
Checked and had no spark, swapped cdi with a spree cdi and whack, nice bright blue spark. shot of ether in the carb and it ran for 5 secs and quit.

You really have to see this this in person to appreciate just how ruff it is, I have always had sprees but hit a wall around 37 mph.
This is the machine I have been looking for but it will take hours of work. Both jets in the carb are plugged soild..

My plan is to clean carb, flush gas tank, replace fuel lines, replace intake o-rings, disable oil pump and run mix (oil pump is stuck closed, cable is shot etc) and??
Back tire is also locked up, maybe stuck brakes?
What is the Elite SR?
Does it have a washer in the varaitor?
Restricted exaust?
With proper jetting can you run a pod filter?
Stock speeds??
Is this the dio??
Will this motor fit a 1989 elite e frame? I have a title for it
Thnx
Attachments
03110926.jpg
03110926.jpg (234.7 KiB) Viewed 4601 times
01 SA50 72cc Malossi/Ct Intake/28mm OKO Carb #130 main
PG Long/9:1gears/RuimaVar8G/1.5K springs
66SIX
CB900F
CB900F

Re: My First Dio :) ?? 1998 Elite SR?

Post by 66SIX »

I got this to trade Tazz for some parts and work . He was saying that it was in rough shape .
I will have to show him yours . Good luck on your project , Looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you .
I have also seen people paying $100.00 for just a frame .
Attachments
100_3305.jpg
100_3305.jpg (184.49 KiB) Viewed 4595 times
100_3266.jpg
100_3266.jpg (143.77 KiB) Viewed 4595 times
100_3394.jpg
100_3394.jpg (233.01 KiB) Viewed 4595 times
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

1998 model year SR and AF16 engine mean it's the non-restricted SA/16, AKA "Dio" around here. Nice find. The crankcase alone is worth more than you paid. The block can be installed into Spree and SB50 frames with some work. In this case, a lot of work, but worthwhile.

The locked rear wheel is almost certainly the brake pads cemented to the drum. I had an '87 Spree resurrection - the late, lamented "Timmy" - that needed a big effen hammer to free up. The pads actually stripped off the shoes and stayed on the rim! That happens when the scooter is parked with the parking brake locked on...
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

With proper jetting, a pod filter can be used. It should be good for about 40mph top speed without any other mods.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Ricerider
Spree
Spree

Post by Ricerider »

Got the carb cleaned out tonight, idle circuit was plugged so bad it took 10 mins of poking with a peice of wire to get thru. Man, does this thing run nice :) idles perfect. After letting it idle for 20 mins I went to grab and handfull of throttle, but the throttle cable was locked up tight :(
Ended up using a spree throttle cable, and ditched the oil pump. Its amazing how much more responsive it is vs a spree, winds up so much higher, can really get the back tire rippin, which is flat... but at least I got the brakes un stuck. I need to get a impact to get the back wheel off to try and resurrect the brakes, they only move with a hammer.
Front drum and brake cable are also shot. Grabbed one off a spree and made it work. The brake drum on the spree is on the oppisite side of the bike, when I put it on the elite I put it on the left side, LMAO had to spin the wheel backwards to get the spedo to work, flipped it around lol... all good.
Anyone every tagged theres a spreelite? think thats what im ending up with....
Petrock's 1984 Spree
Elite
Elite

Post by Petrock's 1984 Spree »

Ricerider wrote:Got the carb cleaned out tonight, idle circuit was plugged so bad it took 10 mins of poking with a peice of wire to get thru. Man, does this thing run nice :) idles perfect. After letting it idle for 20 mins I went to grab and handfull of throttle, but the throttle cable was locked up tight :(
Ended up using a spree throttle cable, and ditched the oil pump. Its amazing how much more responsive it is vs a spree, winds up so much higher, can really get the back tire rippin, which is flat... but at least I got the brakes un stuck. I need to get a impact to get the back wheel off to try and resurrect the brakes, they only move with a hammer.
Front drum and brake cable are also shot. Grabbed one off a spree and made it work. The brake drum on the spree is on the oppisite side of the bike, when I put it on the elite I put it on the left side, LMAO had to spin the wheel backwards to get the spedo to work, flipped it around lol... all good.
Anyone every tagged theres a spreelite? think thats what im ending up with....
1)When you ditched the oil pump did you put in an oil plug?

2) You put the spree drum brakes in an elite wheel? How'd ya make that work?
Complete NOOB, sorry dudes
1984 Iowa Spreedio aka "Hammy"
-72cc Polini Corsa
-V8 Typhoon Exhaust
-21mm OKO & CT Mani
-ZX Trans 1k Contra
-8.44:1 Gears
-Polini 2 Shoe Clutch
-Koso Vented Clutch Bell
-Polini Ruckus Vari w/ 6.9g weights
-669x18x30 Belt
Ricerider
Spree
Spree

Post by Ricerider »

Plugged the pump lines, but not the pump itself. I read somewhere that they cant self destruct if not removed, however I put 300 miles on my last spree with the lines plugged on the oil pump and didnt have a bit of trouble, is the cable pump a different situation?

A spree front tire and wheel will bolt right up but you have to fab in a brake stop for the brake hub or the hub will spin when you hit the brake lol.

Correction: I used the spree hub and wheel
Petrock's 1984 Spree
Elite
Elite

Post by Petrock's 1984 Spree »

Huh, yeah i've also heard you can sieze the pump if you leave it in without oil running through it.
If you want to be safe, you can make your own oil plug out of spare change for cheap. I made on for my Spree and TJamz did a write up on one for an Elite.

TJamz: http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =8&t=13124

If you dont want to shave off the quarters to fit perfect, i just used to orings to take up that space. And JB welded some spare change together and it fits and seals great. Either will work and spare change can't sieze :smile:
P1010689 by jpetrak, on Flickr
Complete NOOB, sorry dudes
1984 Iowa Spreedio aka "Hammy"
-72cc Polini Corsa
-V8 Typhoon Exhaust
-21mm OKO & CT Mani
-ZX Trans 1k Contra
-8.44:1 Gears
-Polini 2 Shoe Clutch
-Koso Vented Clutch Bell
-Polini Ruckus Vari w/ 6.9g weights
-669x18x30 Belt
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Ricerider wrote:Plugged the pump lines, but not the pump itself. I read somewhere that they cant self destruct if not removed, however I put 300 miles on my last spree with the lines plugged on the oil pump and didnt have a bit of trouble, is the cable pump a different situation?

A spree front tire and wheel will bolt right up but you have to fab in a brake stop for the brake hub or the hub will spin when you hit the brake lol.

Correction: I used the spree hub and wheel
Wrong, an oil pump can seize when there is no oil. it is bet to pull the pump and plug it or to pull the pump and grind the teeth off of the shaft.
Ricerider
Spree
Spree

Post by Ricerider »

Alright, Ill go with the change fix. Hard to imagine what would give first if the pump sized at 8k rpm
I also found a restricter ring in the exaust where it bolts to the cylinder, whats the best way to grind this out?
Drill and a stone, or rasp bit?
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

If you found a restrictor ring then you have the "S" not "SR" or someone put an "S" pipe on it. Have you looked at the back of the variator to see if there is a restrictor plate on it?
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Ricerider wrote:Alright, Ill go with the change fix. Hard to imagine what would give first if the pump sized at 8k rpm
I also found a restricter ring in the exaust where it bolts to the cylinder, whats the best way to grind this out?
Drill and a stone, or rasp bit?
Strip the gears on the shaft and metal chunks in your bottom end, could find their way into crank bearings and destroy all. If you have a 1" drill bit, I say have at it.
evilone wrote:If you found a restrictor ring then you have the "S" not "SR" or someone put an "S" pipe on it. Have you looked at the back of the variator to see if there is a restrictor plate on it?
Check to make sure you have the proper carb main jet.
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

Ricerider wrote: Back tire is also locked up, maybe stuck brakes?

For sure

What is the Elite SR?
Does it have a washer in the varaitor?
Restricted exaust?

The Elite SR has no restrictions in the exhaust and have no variator restrictor plate
It looks like you have a SR because it has a split throttle cable.Only the SR model had that.

With proper jetting can you run a pod filter?
Yes
Stock speeds??
40mph
Is this the dio??
Yes and no. The true "dio" would be the AF18 .....but this is the U.S. version
Will this motor fit a 1989 elite e frame?
Fit.....no both take some modification. The spree is easier to "swap in a dio" :imo:
Thnx
Welcome :wink:
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
Ricerider
Spree
Spree

Post by Ricerider »

Heys thanks everyone for all the help!
I coundnt get the rear wheel nut off with a impact, so I had to strap the rim to the frame and use a socket with a persuader bar, dont sound good but it works good and no damage to the rim. After sanding down all the rust on the brake parts everything works smooth. I also had to wire wheel the rims before putting in new tubes and tires, the rims were rusted... really really bad. Finally got to take it out for a a pinch, hope I dont offend anyone here but I am done with sprees... this thing just tears *. Couldnt take it over 25 in the city and its a bit cold out yet to hold it wide open, although I really wanted to see what it would top out at. Just did a couple quick pulls in front of my house and I am impressed. Have to check on the plug and see what I need for jetting, I didnt get a air box with it but a pod filter is on the way. Also had to wire in a key switch and tail light, rear blinkers, all the wires were cut, man what a mess, but all works good now.

I am in the process of tearing it down for the final go thru, clean clutches, plug oil pump housing. I am missing half the plastic so its all coming off, except the dash piece. The frame is getting repainted with truck bed liner coating and the serial number swapped off a elite that I actually have the title for. I plan to grind off the foot rest on each machine, swap the footrests, reweld and then paint the frame so it looks factory, case I get pulled over doing 40 in a 25.

I have two concerns left...
the cylinder is very rusty (on the fins), do I need to clean this up so it can cool properly?
I would really like to plug the motor and wash it somehow, its not really that dirty, just discolored from being outside
After I get the frame and wheels repainted, bolting in the faded motor just would ruin it.... anyone have any ideas on how to bring the look back? Already tryed gas, bleach white and soft scrub.

Anyone done the "change oil pump" plug yet? quarters are too big, pennies too small, didnt have any nickels on me.... that must be what fits...
Attachments
03152144 (1).jpg
03152144 (1).jpg (208.53 KiB) Viewed 4491 times
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

You have to grind the edge off of the quarters to fit. Or you can do it with washers if you would rather avoid committing a felony. Cleaning the rust off of the fins is not needed for cooling. Brake cleaner will remove all the dirt from the aluminum block.