Kick Start Stuck !

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Ronsmp
Noob
Noob

Kick Start Stuck !

Post by Ronsmp »

I guess I bought a pc of grap! sucker me as the kick start is stuck in down position! Does anyone know if kick start is stuck will it effect trying to start moped electrically, or the driving of the moped? If it does not effect these, then my next step is to try to buy a cdi unit and hook it up and hope moped will start electically. I do got a good batterie as the lights work, blinkers and horn too! Thanks to who ever answers this guestion. Frustrated! :*:
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: kICK START STUCK!

Post by Trafficjamz »

A CDI is required for your scooter to run no matter what. Perhaps you have a CDI confused with starter relay?

The kickstarter gears are just jammed in place.
Take the kick cover off (don't worry it's very easy, and no oil or springs are going to come shooting out) and see what is going on.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

x2 on taking off the belt cover to look at the kickstart. Too many possibilities for problems so yes, it sould cause futher damage but it may not.

Is this your first e-start scooter?
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
sonnyneu
Noob
Noob

Post by sonnyneu »

Mine had that same problem when I bought it. I could pull it back up but it would not spring back. I finally opened it up thinking I might need to replace the spring but all it needed was grease, so i put a little white grease on it and it works fine now. It was fairly simple to open and look.
Ronsmp
Noob
Noob

Post by Ronsmp »

I took cover of today and everything looks alright I guess the driven gear might be a little worn. But I guess it will be ok I cleaned all out with wd40 lube and dried the hole cover and all parts with computer air can sprayer and dried all out with paper towels and Qtips so stuff clean and put back together I hope teeth on driven gear won't suppost to go a certain way against pully when I put it back? I put all back the way it was when took apart. kick start works just need be gentle with it as don't want it to get stuck as it isn't the best but it does work good and springs back like it is suppost to. Know I just got to work on getting moped started might need to replace spark plug, but enough for today as amazed myself by doing this task so far! :woot: :woot:
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

WD-40 will get you moving, but may not last long. White Lithium Grease or something thicker will be a better long-term lube for this assembly. If the parts are worn, the shafts are smaller than the bushing holes. This allows them to go a bit diagonal, where they jam. When starting, engage the gears gently, then push - don't "kick" through. This ain't no Ironhead Sportster. :wink:
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
sonnyneu
Noob
Noob

Post by sonnyneu »

I used white grease for mine too and it has been working great so far. It was so dry in there it had no grease when i got it. The guy I got it from didn't have a clue about it. I even tested it before i put cover back on but you gotta be careful about it. But like Wheelman said use the White Lithium Grease.
Ronsmp
Noob
Noob

Post by Ronsmp »

Yea kick start works good. So like you said I should get white lithium gresase for it and I'll be all set. were would this be sold? also, know it won't start so I will buy a new spark plug try that and if it not work to the shop it goes as tired of messing with this. Either it will work for me or it is completly shot! Find out soon or later. bye guys!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Lithium and many other types of grease are sold in AutoParts stores near you. Hopefully not too near you. :)
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Ronsmp
Noob
Noob

Post by Ronsmp »

Hard to explain, put I am stuck with a moped that can't start and can't even take to a repair shop as I know it will cost me an arm and a leg to get fixed! The kick start works but get stuck inside as the half moon shaped gear goes to far back up on the return and I have to open cover to put it back in place just to try to start moped. And not sure what part I need to get for the electiric start to work? And even if I get it will it be able enough to start so repair place can figure out why it won't run right boggs down. What to do?
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Ronsmp wrote:Hard to explain, put I am stuck with a moped that can't start and can't even take to a repair shop as I know it will cost me an arm and a leg to get fixed! The kick start works but get stuck inside as the half moon shaped gear goes to far back up on the return and I have to open cover to put it back in place just to try to start moped. And not sure what part I need to get for the electiric start to work? And even if I get it will it be able enough to start so repair place can figure out why it won't run right boggs down. What to do?
What scooter is this? Can you post a picture of the kickstart gears?
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
smalloy32
Noob
Noob

Post by smalloy32 »

I have the same problem with my 84 Honda spree. I just replaced the kickstart gear and am able to use to the kickstart to start the moped, but everytime I turn it off and have to use it again, the kickstart gets stuck. I used a whole tube of lithium grease to lube the spring. The spree usually starts on the first kick after I remove the kickstart plate and put it back on. Super frustrating because it runs great once it can start. I am not sure if it is flooding or what, the kickstart just never comes back up when started a second time
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Flooding refers to an overabundance of fue in the engine. This would have no effect upon the operation of the kick mechanism.
Wheelman-111
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

The scooter will not fix itself.
The kickstart needs to be fixed,
The electric start needs to be fixed,
The drivability needs to be fixed,
"Just Do It" says Nike
Owning a vintage scooter or car requires maintenance and repairs, to expect otherwise is unrealistic.
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.