1987 spree runs for 45 sec then dies

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

chasmant
Noob
Noob

1987 spree runs for 45 sec then dies

Post by chasmant »

I have a 1987 spree and it will start with some work run well for about 45 sec then die and won't start till you leave it set for about hour
I have replaced the carb float and needle and spark plug pulled the exhaust and it runs again for 45 sec and then dies.
I tried adjusting the air to 1 and 78 turn out from being all the way in still the same thing
I looked at the plug when it dies and it looks wet with fuel
could this be the auto choke ? I did the measurement and when it is cool it still show little or no ohm's
can I just take it out ? or is that the same as if it was full choke (kinda a rookie at this)
have also drained all fuel put fresh so I know that is not it
someone told me to pull the exhaust so I did no help
any other ideas
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: 1987 spree runs for 45 sec then dies

Post by Bear45-70 »

Pull the plug as soon as it dies. If plug is wet, the carb is flooding.

Try this

http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... Valve_Seat
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
chasmant
Noob
Noob

Post by chasmant »

I have pulled the plug and it is always wet
I replaced the float and still sam issue
the pin was to long that came in the set so I used the old one maybe that is still the issue
let me know any other ideas thanks for the help
Feral_Sparky
Goped
Goped

Post by Feral_Sparky »

chasmant wrote:I have pulled the plug and it is always wet
the pin was to long that came in the set so I used the old one maybe that is still the issue
Check your petcock, might be bypassing the carb a bit and going straight into the engine. Thats what mine did, it would flood the spark plug and I would have to unplug the petcock and crank it to get the excess fuel out of the engine until it would start up again.
1987 Honda Elite SE50
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Feral_Sparky wrote:
chasmant wrote:I have pulled the plug and it is always wet
Check your petcock, might be bypassing the carb a bit and going straight into the engine. Thats what mine did, it would flood the spark plug and I would have to unplug the petcock and crank it to get the excess fuel out of the engine until it would start up again.
If the plug is wet, you have one of three issues;

1) No compression

2) No spark

3) carb flooding over due to bad needle and seat (It don't have s*** to do with the petcock)

I wish those that don't know s*** would shut the * up and quit give bad advise.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

Well a bad petcock could flood the motor IF fuel was passing through the vac line straight into the intake, although the poster above is the only person I've heard of this happening to.

More likely its the needle seat (since you replaced the needle already). Also while you have the carb off to polish the seat, make sure to check the idle jet is clear (it is the most commonly clogged area in my experiences).
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
Feral_Sparky
Goped
Goped

Post by Feral_Sparky »

devenex wrote:Well a bad petcock could flood the motor IF fuel was passing through the vac line straight into the intake, although the poster above is the only person I've heard of this happening to.

More likely its the needle seat (since you replaced the needle already). Also while you have the carb off to polish the seat, make sure to check the idle jet is clear (it is the most commonly clogged area in my experiences).
Thank you :) That was what mine was doing. I could unhook the fuel line to the carb and the fuel going through the vacuum line would keep the engine running. Not great but it would in fact idle with no fuel going to the carb..... it was just a suggestion is all. Once I replaced the petcock, my engine issues stopped completely and the bike runs great now. It started out a small then progressed into quite a serious leak.
1987 Honda Elite SE50
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Feral_Sparky wrote:
devenex wrote:Well a bad petcock could flood the motor IF fuel was passing through the vac line straight into the intake, although the poster above is the only person I've heard of this happening to.

Thank you :) That was what mine was doing. I could unhook the fuel line to the carb and the fuel going through the vacuum line would keep the engine running. Not great but it would in fact idle with no fuel going to the carb..... it was just a suggestion is all. Once I replaced the petcock, my engine issues stopped completely and the bike runs great now. It started out a small then progressed into quite a serious leak.
There is fuel left in the float bowl after you disconnect the fuel line and the engine will idle on that fuel for up to 5 minutes. So this theory is BS until you install a clear fuel line and see fuel moving thru the vacuum line.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Feral_Sparky
Goped
Goped

Post by Feral_Sparky »

Bear45-70 wrote:
Feral_Sparky wrote:

There is fuel left in the float bowl after you disconnect the fuel line and the engine will idle on that fuel for up to 5 minutes. So this theory is BS until you install a clear fuel line and see fuel moving thru the vacuum line.
Im not about to turn this topic into an argument with you over who's right or wrong. All I know is that my engine would flood out with the old petcock installed. I would have to disconnect it, crank it to get the excess fuel out of the engine. Then hook it back up, start cranking and really try to get the engine up in the high rpm's to keep running, If it idled to low it would die and would not start until the excess fuel was pumped out. I replaced only the petcock and the issues were resolved. I figured it out when I went to suck on the vac line going into the petcock and my mouth instantly filled with gasoline. The problem is your so stubborn to think that maybe something you didn't think would happen could happen... and by the way I'm not an idiot.
1987 Honda Elite SE50
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Feral_Sparky wrote:
Bear45-70 wrote:
Feral_Sparky wrote:Thank you :) That was what mine was doing. I could unhook the fuel line to the carb and the fuel going through the vacuum line would keep the engine running. Not great but it would in fact idle with no fuel going to the carb..... it was just a suggestion is all. Once I replaced the petcock, my engine issues stopped completely and the bike runs great now. It started out a small then progressed into quite a serious leak.
Im not about to turn this topic into an argument with you over who's right or wrong. All I know is that my engine would flood out with the old petcock installed. I would have to disconnect it, crank it to get the excess fuel out of the engine. Then hook it back up, start cranking and really try to get the engine up in the high rpm's to keep running, If it idled to low it would die and would not start until the excess fuel was pumped out. I replaced only the petcock and the issues were resolved. I figured it out when I went to suck on the vac line going into the petcock and my mouth instantly filled with gasoline. The problem is your so stubborn to think that maybe something you didn't think would happen could happen... and by the way I'm not an idiot.
Even if the petcock is bad, the needle should seat well enough to prevent flooding. I have a bad petcock on one of my Aero 80s but the needle keeps the carb from flooding over (as it has to with a properly operating petcock when the engine is running). Not only is your logic flawed but a petcock will not cure the flooding issue. Oh and if you keep using this kind of logic you are an idiot. :roll:
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
CreamCity
BMX
BMX

Post by CreamCity »

People are on here to get advice. No one needs to be called an idiot for an idea or suggestion. A simple clarification is all that's needed. If you're going to be such a grumpy @** all the time go moderate on a different forum. You were once a noob too, get over it, everyones been there. :thumbsup:
1986 Honda Spree
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

CreamCity wrote:People are on here to get advice. No one needs to be called an idiot for an idea or suggestion. A simple clarification is all that's needed. If you're going to be such a grumpy @** all the time go moderate on a different forum. You were once a noob too, get over it, everyones been there. :thumbsup:
If the shoe fits he should wear it. I've forgotten more about 2 strokes than you will ever know, so don't be telling me how to act or respond to those than refuse to listen, nitwit.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree