new aero owner, two weeks later....

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

extraslimcase
Noob
Noob

new aero owner, two weeks later....

Post by extraslimcase »

Hey Everyone...

..this would be my very first post (*newbie*) after perusing for a coupla weeks now. I'm looking for all the advice I can get on my "current" issue...

I bought a 86 nb50 that seemed decent enough; fired right up first kick, and it seemed complete minus a dead battery. I swabbed the gas tank inards, put on a new tube and tire, cleaned the carb, new plug, new air filter, a couple of oil changes, new 2 stroke oil, registered it; riding it around the neighborhood between each liitle project, never taking it out into traffic because I had no tail/brake lights or directionals. Headlight and plate light worked fine.

Now. I had had them twice, by chance, but they'd never come back after I killed the engine. So my old man told me to get a tester and check around for the culprit. I have always found wires quite intimidating and beyond my realm of understanding but one has to, at least, try to overcome these things...

What happened was this: While probing around in random order (not the right way, I know) I opened up that little rubber bag that sits down behind your left foot and found that when I touched the blue/yellow wire the light sorta flickered instead of a solid bright.. I followed the wire which led to the infamous stator. Actually, it went to that little black plastic box job which rests next to the flywheel and found that it looked as if someone had sodered the wire there (unless that is how they did it at the plant). I phoned the old man and, to him, it sounded like that'd be my trouble: the stator..
But that's not all... Checked the wire a second time the next day to find the light dim, touched the connecter and that was the moment my engine quit and remains that way.

My questions are these (for now):

1) Would my tail/break light and directionals be linked to a bad stator?

2) Did I totally fry the stator?

3) If I did, and I buy a new one, is there a chance that it was something else all together and I may fry the new one?

4) Do I need an impact wrench to take off the flywheel?
Wheelman-111

Re: new aero owner, two weeks later....

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The headlight will work without a battery, but the signals, etc. Need one.
Does the headlight still glimmer when you crank it?

There is another important wire near the stator. That'd be the inductive pickup - sort of important for spark timeage.
Hope you didn't Flambe that one. Buy Mousewheels an eBeer and he can guide you through the Mysteries of Wiring Diagrams.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

The service manual has all your answers.

http://www.hondaspree.net/other/Aero50_SM_85.pdf
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
extraslimcase
Noob
Noob

Post by extraslimcase »

I plan on getting that manual, some way or other... but I can't view it here on this barebones laptop. Perhaps I'll buy one...

Well, I took out the dead battery and she started right up so I guess I didn't sizzle anything. I got the new battery on the charger now and we'll see about taking it out into the world soon. For now it's strictly for giving the children rides up and down the street.
Feral_Sparky
Goped
Goped

Post by Feral_Sparky »

extraslimcase wrote:I plan on getting that manual, some way or other... but I can't view it here on this barebones laptop. Perhaps I'll buy one...

Well, I took out the dead battery and she started right up so I guess I didn't sizzle anything. I got the new battery on the charger now and we'll see about taking it out into the world soon. For now it's strictly for giving the children rides up and down the street.
what do you mean you cant view it on your laptop? You dont have a .pdf viewer? If not its free and simple. There is no reason why you cant view it. If you have to, right click and save it to your desktop.
1987 Honda Elite SE50
extraslimcase
Noob
Noob

Post by extraslimcase »

I've tried. I suppose I could google up a free pdf viewer, but I tire easily of virtual hoops. I'd rather do it all bassackwards or get someone in my family to print it off for me.

Thanks for looking out for me though; we ludites are hard to please...
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Actually I like a paper copy of the FSM better too. Pics are easier to see or magnify if necessary. Also, if there are tricky spots or if you make any mods, you can write the issues in the margins for next time.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
extraslimcase
Noob
Noob

Post by extraslimcase »

I went and did it...

...installed one of them there pdf viewers so I could get a better glimpse into my new ride...

..first thing tomorrow I am going to print this off, bind it, and read it like it was 'the outsiders' and I was 14 again..

..countless hours in the shed ahead..
spree-rider
Elite
Elite

Post by spree-rider »

adobe flash player. FREE
86 spree
sb 50 intake and reeds
3.00x10 rear tire
waxed

99Polaris indy 700
harliquim paint
2" bar riser
lefty throttle
ice scratchers
SLP tri keel skis
ported
high compression head
chrome low windshield
mountain bar
Xtra-10
I ALWAYS KEEP ONE ROLLED
extraslimcase
Noob
Noob

Post by extraslimcase »

Update: I got the new battery all charged up and found an ungrounded ground and an ignition wire loose in the front panel; after hooking the blk/wht wire back up to the ignition and the green to the frame I am glad to say that I got all my lights, blinkers blink, horn is strong and my electric start now works. But, it's been raining steady for two days and will continue to do so for the next few days (so they say).

I cannot wait to ride!!! :mrgreen: