1987 Honda Elite se50

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

caferacer
Noob
Noob

1987 Honda Elite se50

Post by caferacer »

Found this 1987 Honda Elite se50 over the winter for $50 on craigslist, not running as a "parts" scooter.
It was already missing plastics so I removed anything not necessary to making it run. That includes lighting, speedometer and all unnecessary wiring. I actually edited the wiring diagram from the site to match what I have now, I will post that later.

I'm not getting spark and this is what I have tried:
-New spark plug, the coldest recommended but it seems like the threads arent long enough so it might not be the right model
-New unlimited CDI
-The airbox was missing when I got it so I have tried holding a folded paper towel over the carb while kicking it, this was before I knew I wasn't getting spark I need to look up the right size uni filter or macgyver something together like a waterbottle with holes in it, haha.
-I have a replecement rectifier/regulator coming in the mail
-Looking for a new ignition coil, I think this might actually be the problem. I have a multimeter I just need to look up how to test it.

Ideas?
Last edited by caferacer on Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 1987 Honda Elite se50

Post by Mystic »

did you know you have to hold down the brake to get it to start?
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
caferacer
Noob
Noob

Post by caferacer »

Man if that's it I'll feel kind of dumb... but happy to have it running.
Thanks, I'll try that tonight. The rear brake cable needs to be pulled not the brake light circuit right because I removed that wiring?
Also Im kicking it not using the starter. the button was missing and I decided to take out the wiring for the starter relay. I think Ill just put a mechanical switch towards the back for the starter at some point.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

caferacer wrote:.....I'm not getting spark and this is what I have tried:
-New spark plug, the coldest recommended but it seems like the threads arent long enough so it might not be the right model
Get the right plug.

-New unlimited CDI
The aftermarket "unlimited CDI is not only not as good as the stock CDI, but the stock CDI is "unlimited" from the factory. Remove the junk. FYI there is a test procedure in the service manual for the CDI (and every other electrical component.)

-The airbox was missing when I got it so I have tried holding a folded paper towel over the carb while kicking it, this was before I knew I wasn't getting spark I need to look up the right size uni filter or macgyver something together like a waterbottle with holes in it, haha.
Get the stock airbox or you will HAVE to rejet the carb or have a lean running engine which will soon self destruct.

-I have a replecement rectifier/regulator coming in the mail
I hope it a factory item.

-Looking for a new ignition coil, I think this might actually be the problem. I have a multimeter I just need to look up how to test it.
The test procedure for the coil is in the service manual.

Ideas?
Check the stator while you are at it. Make sure the stop/run switch on the right handlebar switch assembly is in the run position.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
caferacer
Noob
Noob

Post by caferacer »

Thank you for the advice guys I will take it and post the results.
caferacer
Noob
Noob

Post by caferacer »

The primary ignition coil reading moves around (depending on how I move the leads) from .3 to .5 ohms not .1 to .2 which it should be and with the plug cap on the secondary coil has no continuity but with it off it gets a reading of 4.38 kilohms which is actually acceptable.

I think I need to look for a new cap or ignition coil.