85' Spree Carb..Cant see "pin * of light"

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Spree-Mart 24/7
Goped
Goped

85' Spree Carb..Cant see "pin * of light"

Post by Spree-Mart 24/7 »

Hey guys.

Ive tried Staples, Paper clips and guitar strings.
guitar string got the furthest in but not all the way though
any idears on how to clear this port?

:coolcruise:
Cheap Spree Parts!!
motormike

Re: 85' Spree Carb..Cant see "pin * of light"

Post by motormike »

which-ever port you're talking about,....the BEST method for cleaning carbs and getting ALL the residue from varnished gasoline out of those teeny-weeny passages is to SUBMERGE carb into cleaner solution available from auto parts stores......I just bought a gallon of "Berrymans" at O'Reily auto parts for $20.....overnite soak followed by intense blasting with compressed air is guaranteed to surpass the result gained with a spray-can of carb cleaner and poking with wires......even though this method will sometimes work just fine......not all pasages are a straight shot thru.....getting wires thru these elbow bends is virtually impossible.......soak time and blasting with air.....good luck........ :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Hi,
The 'pin * of light' usually is in reference to the pilot jet. While the orifice in the jet is centered, the opening into the carb venturi is offset. Therefore, no pokey object will go through.

Click the thread below for a photo...

Click for carb orifice photo
Spree-Mart 24/7
Goped
Goped

Post by Spree-Mart 24/7 »

how it is possible then to see the light in photos? and i got guitar string pretty far in but still not the whole way through.. also the air comressor is down so i have nothing but air in a can.. pretty weak.
Cheap Spree Parts!!
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Spree-Mart 24/7 wrote:how it is possible then to see the light in photos? and i got guitar string pretty far in but still not the whole way through.. also the air comressor is down so i have nothing but air in a can.. pretty weak.
For pressure you can use spray carb cleaner, Brakleen or even WD-40. It is easier to see it when and if the fluid actually goes thru into the carb venturi.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

how it is possible then to see the light in photos?
A strong light shining straight down the throttle slider portion of the carb will reflect enough light inside that dog-legged passage to see a clear pilot jet orifice.

Use a flashlight. I've also pointed the carb directly at the sun. Make sure to sheilded the rest and your eyes from the sun. It takes a bit of aiming to get the bore in-line with the sun.

If you are using an incandescent flashlight, sometimes taking a digital photo of the pilot jet helps, their sensors are often sensitive somewhat to IR, and pick up what the eye is missing. It will take some futzing with alignment of the flashlight and camera.
--