Only runs with fingers over carb intake

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

gliderbuff
Noob
Noob

Only runs with fingers over carb intake

Post by gliderbuff »

I have to practically snuff out all the air out of the carb intake to be able to suck enough fuel into engine (literally choking it off) to make engine run.. and it is erratic at best. same warm or cold.. runs like shirt!

Any suggestions ... vacuum leaks reeds only 700 miles on 85 model Spree.... cleaned carb.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Only runs with fingers over carb intake

Post by Bear45-70 »

Can you say vacuum leak? And no, it is not the reeds themselves, could be the gasket though.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

Do you have the air box on?

no? Put it on :wink:
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
gliderbuff
Noob
Noob

Post by gliderbuff »

Ok ... thats usually the case vacuum leaks... help me think this through... there are a couple "o" rings that mate the carb to the intake manifold, gaskets on the manifold could be leaking... main seals could be leaking how about air drawing in through the auto bystarter that seems to be faulty... needle doesn't move when electrical leads are touched to a 12 V power source. carburetor throttle spring cap... air leaking in there. How about the common leaks? anybody know of any that are going to occur during normal operation and use? Air screw set out 2 turns. Any troubleshooting ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

Trafficjamz wrote:Do you have the air box on?

no? Put it on :wink:
air box?
gliderbuff
Noob
Noob

Post by gliderbuff »

Will not start with airbox on... so to answer you question ... the air box is not on.
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

gliderbuff wrote:Will not start with airbox on... so to answer you question ... the air box is not on.
The spree will not run very well with the airbox off.

It should start and idle with no airbox ......but don't try to ride it with out one, it will bog out and stall.

You can look for other air leaks around the carb and intake where the vacuum hoses connect, that is a common place for leaks

Do you have to give it throttle as weel as put your fingers over the carb to start it?

If you do .....i would guess that your pilot jet is dirty. Did this moped sit around for a while?

Clean your carb
gliderbuff
Noob
Noob

Post by gliderbuff »

Good advise. Yes I need to give the scooter lots of throttle to make it run and it is erratic at best. The engine is always wanting to die... So today I plan to replace the rubber O rings either side of the block that separates the carb from the manifold. The carburetor body and jets have been soaking in a caustic carb cleaning solution over night and will reassemble them. Not sure what part the auto bistarter plays in all this but have ordered a new one and your advise about the airbox is good.. Will put it back on as soon as can make it run and idle without it in place.

So to review it takes lots of throttle and lots of choking manually to make her run. Put new fuel in it because yes it had been sitting around for some time .. only 700 miles on a 1985 Model Spree so clearly it has not been getting ridden.

Thanks for your suggestions...
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

have you checked compression? you may want to take the head off, spin the fan so the piston is at bottom and examine the cylinder walls if you dont have a way to test compression. you can be getting plenty of gas and good spark but if bad compression it will run erratically like you are describing
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
killerpancake
Spree
Spree

Post by killerpancake »

i agree with the above post, Many cases of hard to start mopeds i've dealt with lead to low compression. One of the cases was loose head bolts. never know till you pop that thing open.
If it don't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

(Previous)
87 honda spree
85 honda spree

(Current)
88 yammy razz

(parts bike)
another 88 yammy razz
gliderbuff
Noob
Noob

Post by gliderbuff »

Good sound advise.. compression is good at 125psi. Which is a relief. After scratching everything I can scratch i went back to the first thing I checked on the motor scooter and that was the auto bystarter. I have two questions for the Honda engineers. What were they thinking and what were they thinking... old school guy that I am i just want a regular old choke.

Long story short by removing the auto bystarter (i even hate the name) plugging the hole that was left behind when I removed the thing a the scooter engine ran just fine.. I have ordered another one on ebay for $26 and hope I can put this thing on the road.

Most importantly I want to thank the folks here in the Forum who took an interest in this fun little scooter celebrating its 26th birthday.

Sincerely

Gliderbuff
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

gliderbuff wrote:Good sound advise.. compression is good at 125psi. Which is a relief. After scratching everything I can scratch i went back to the first thing I checked on the motor scooter and that was the auto bystarter. I have two questions for the Honda engineers. What were they thinking and what were they thinking... old school guy that I am i just want a regular old choke.

Long story short by removing the auto bystarter (i even hate the name) plugging the hole that was left behind when I removed the thing a the scooter engine ran just fine.. I have ordered another one on ebay for $26 and hope I can put this thing on the road.

Most importantly I want to thank the folks here in the Forum who took an interest in this fun little scooter celebrating its 26th birthday.

Sincerely

Gliderbuff
Real, old school chokes are inefficient for several reasons and is why they are now gone. They disrupt the air flow through the carb. Lowering carb efficiency, lowering power and mpg. So Honda did something that works well and causes very few issues. Normally when they do fail, they usually fail in the enriched mode (choke on). It is rare for the bystarter itself to fail in the close position, since the base position is open, needle retracted, extra fuel flowing when the engine is cranking or running. More often than bystarter system, if it supplies no fuel it is a plugged fuel passage between the float bowl and the bystarter chamber.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
gliderbuff
Noob
Noob

Post by gliderbuff »

Thanks for your input on the chokes... learn something every day... I hope this new Auto Bypass starter takes care of everything... thanks again for your interest in my post....

gliderbuff
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

gliderbuff wrote:Thanks for your input on the chokes... learn something every day... I hope this new Auto Bypass starter takes care of everything... thanks again for your interest in my post....

gliderbuff
Unless it was stuck in the extended position, it will not.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
gliderbuff
Noob
Noob

Post by gliderbuff »

Put in new By Starter thinking that would take care of things. Nope... still the only way it wants to run now is to remove By Starter completely and plug the hole. Only will go 25 mph top otherwise it runs ok... Somebody help me if they know.. Seems this will inrich the mixture. pouring raw fuel via the jet in the carb bowl up the siphon tube and into the carb venturi. That being the case then air is creeping in somewhere that i have been unable to find thus far. Compression is 125 psi. Any suggestions?