Running without battery

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Paul604
BMX
BMX

Running without battery

Post by Paul604 »

Is it ok to run without a battery? And has anyone tried the new lithium batteries? Mine was stolen out of my scooter and was looking at new ones, and saw the li-ion batteries. Sounds pretty sweet. Might even run a hid headlight? Tried One out before but the alternator couldn't keep up to keep it going.
1990 Honda Tact
AF24 swap - 50mm bbk, 44mm mini stroker crank, V8 pipe, custom seat cover, 6.9:1 gears
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Running without battery

Post by Mystic »

i have run my Spree without a battery :D not for certain about long term ramifications. everything works from the stator basically in the absence of a battery until you stop, your setup may hit enough rpms at idle to continue powering the brake light and or turn signal if not they wont work till you take off again :D older machines did have a tendency to overload the light bulbs in everything but I dont think they have that problem in the newer stuff.
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
SuprasNsprees
Elite
Elite

Post by SuprasNsprees »

i got mine w/o a battery, and rode it home just fine.

the only thing that didn't work very well, was the horn. it made noise, but it was pretty weak
'86 Honda Spree : taz stage3 w/ mild porting, head milled 0.015", and pulley mod. 2k+ mies on kit
'80 Puch Magnum MKII
'78 Maxi Newport. Polini 64cc case matched, hi comp head, Rito alum crank, delorto 21mm race, etc.
'78 PA50 Hobbit
Paul604
BMX
BMX

Post by Paul604 »

I think might have a bad ground somewhere. Runs like crap without a battery. Think it's worth trying one of the li-ion? Seen them online for not much more than a reg battery.
1990 Honda Tact
AF24 swap - 50mm bbk, 44mm mini stroker crank, V8 pipe, custom seat cover, 6.9:1 gears
SuprasNsprees
Elite
Elite

Post by SuprasNsprees »

Paul604 wrote:I think might have a bad ground somewhere. Runs like crap without a battery. Think it's worth trying one of the li-ion? Seen them online for not much more than a reg battery.

li-ion is the greatest thing to happen to batteries. if it's the proper mAH , and you have the funds to do so , pull the trigger

i don't have a problem with the regular battery in mine, but i keep it on a battery tender in the cold seasons
'86 Honda Spree : taz stage3 w/ mild porting, head milled 0.015", and pulley mod. 2k+ mies on kit
'80 Puch Magnum MKII
'78 Maxi Newport. Polini 64cc case matched, hi comp head, Rito alum crank, delorto 21mm race, etc.
'78 PA50 Hobbit
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Running without a battery should not be harmful to the electrical system. Turn signal and horn operation at idle are impacted. Signals generally will not flash when stopped and idling. Horn does not buzz well without the battery present.

-- Li in batteries ''
Li-ion batteries have different charger design requirements, and serious failure modes. Avoid changing battery chemistry, unless a matching charge system can be fitted.

Lithium ion battery charging

See section 5 for charging info.
Vendor provided battery technical data