update and idle jet

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Gevaudan
Noob
Noob

update and idle jet

Post by Gevaudan »

Hello all again!

Thank you for all of the great questions and advice. Much of the same stuff is covered in previous questions.

About two months ago, I posted on a spree that I had obtained from my wife's grandpa. It has only 200 miles on it, but had sat for 10+ years and wouldn't start. Advice given and basic info is under oct. 13 entry.

Here's an update. After cleaning the fuel shutoff valve and testing, the spree would start for a second or so and die. It sounded rough. After cleaning the carb, it sounded much better, and would rev for 2 seconds, then stall. I did this all two nights ago.

Yesterday, I returned to the forum and read all of the entries regarding sprees that wouldn't start, wouldn't idle, ran rough, etc. This reading suggested the idle jet was dirty. I tested it per instructions by removing the choke up to the O-ring and lo and behold, it would now run for 3-5 seconds and I could rev it, before it died.

I have now:
1.) new fluids
2.) new spark
3.) cleaned gas tank
4.) cleaned air filter and tank
5.) cleaned and checked fuel shutoff
6.) am re-cleaning the carb

So, now I'm soaking the carb in cleaner for 24 hours. Here's my question: which jet is the idle jet? An entry said it was a small jet, engine side of the main jet. To the best of my observations, there is nothing but screw holes engine side of the main jet, with the exception of a 3-5mm hole that has an L-shaped turn to a valve which is open to the air when the carb is assembled. Is the idle jet the small brass tube right next to the main jet when looking inside the carb? The tube that is like 1mm wide and located in the throttle barrel next to the main jet when looking down from the top? If so, that thing is plugged to kingdom come.

I tried spray cleaner and a gentle wooden toothpick. Some gunk came out. I'll be buying compressed air tonight. My manual didn't spell out which tube it was. I haven't found a diagram yet. Let me know if I'm on the right track.

Josh
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

The idle jet is the tube you are describing. Just on the engine side from the main jet. Glad you heeded my advise on not using any sharp object to try to clean. A toothpick at the most. Compressed air is always best. Soak and air blast, repeat until cleaned out. That is definitely your problem.
Scoot safely
Gevaudan
Noob
Noob

new issues

Post by Gevaudan »

Allrighty,

I managed to clear out the idle jet. After trying soaking, spraying and air, I actually used vacuum. I'm confident that the carb is clean. Great news! The spree idles great now. My wife took it for a five minute run, and it ran fantastic, and then all of the sudden died. It still idles great, but if you add any throttle when it's not propped up, it stalls out. There's no torque. This bad boy has under 300 miles. Any ideas?

Josh
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

If you're absolutely SURE you cleaned the entire carb according to the posted procedures, that leaves the airbox and filter. Make sure it's a new filter (not an old cleaned one as they disintegrate with time). Also make sure the fuel shutoff valve is not sticking partially shut. That could starve the carb for fuel. Also the filter in tank above the fuel shutoff.
Incidentally, the bike has sat for many a year. It would not be uncommon for the tank to have sediments in it that would re-clog the carb even after a thorough cleaning.
Stop at the hardware store and get a lawn mower filter (around $2) and install in the fuel line. That should catch any left over sediments. Install NEW hose for both the fuel and vacuum tot he shutoff valve. Recheck the cleaning and it should run just fine.
Scoot safely
Gevaudan
Noob
Noob

immediate reply

Post by Gevaudan »

Jerry,

Thanks for your help. I'll get right on those issues. incedentally, I was speaking to my spouse and she informed me that the previous owener was likely over 300 pounds when he rode the spree. Knowing that's over the weight limit, any chance that affects things?

Josh
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

Not really. Premature wear on the belt and possibly the rear clutch. At 300 or so miles, I don't think you'll ever notice. A couple thousand miles at that weight could definitely wear things down, but I'm sure you don't have a problem.
Make sure everything is serviced well and enjoy the bike.
Scoot safely
Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jim »

*Imagining a 300 lb man riding my spree*

8O :D
86 Honda Spree - Lawn Ornament
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
92 Honda CBR600 F2 - Current Daily driver
Spree Repair Guide
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

I DON'T WANT TO IMAGINE THAT......
Especially if he was in the lead and I had to follow.........

8O

:roll:
Scoot safely
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Post by Tippmann98 »

Haha, that was so random it was funny. Like 2x the weight limit.... Just imagine what the poor engine would sound like, especially up a hill. Old people with walkers would be passing him up.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Check the tank for rust. If it's rusty follow the cleaning procedure in the tech docs. I'm betting it is if it's been sitting that long. The in-tank filter can clog with rust as well, and may need cleaned/replaced.
Gevaudan
Noob
Noob

update...not yet

Post by Gevaudan »

O.k.,

This weekend, I replaced the hoses and air filter and rechecked the fuel stop valve. Consider all of them ruled out. They are all in working order. I've also added a separate briggs and stratton fuel filter. For the record, I have also cleaned out the tank, its creating no more residue. I tested various ideas from the forum like no choke, more air, etc.

Bad news time, it will run as long and as high as I want when up on the kick stand, but it can't even pull its own weight on the ground after it warms up. I let it run for a while why I was cleaning various parts and noticed gas leaking out of the carb both at the seal between the carb and the bowl and at the bowl-draining nut.

Upon examination, I'm pretty sure that my o-rings are shot. Methinks age combined with carb cleaner has finished them off. I'm going to replace the lot of them. Two questions:

1.) could a leaky carb be the cause of my no run problem?
2.) What is the fastest way to get the o-ring kit? I contacted a bike store and they were talking 10 days for OEM, can a Honda dealer beat that? I live in Holland MI and can get to a dealer in GR.

Thanks again for all of your help, and I'm glad that my 300-pound reference provided a hoot. I'm a newbie and I was thinking torque.

Josh
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Post by Tippmann98 »

Just try this: Take off the side pannels and cover up any holes that may be drilled on the intake plastic. Cover up one of the main holes too. Just one to experiment with. Start it and see how it runs

If that does nothing, try taking off the air cap and running it. I am slmost sure it is an air issue. May not be, but it sounds like problesm i have experienced.
Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jim »

revs with no load, but on the ground it cant even hold its own? sounds like a clutch/drivetrain issue
86 Honda Spree - Lawn Ornament
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
92 Honda CBR600 F2 - Current Daily driver
Spree Repair Guide
Gevaudan
Noob
Noob

regarding air

Post by Gevaudan »

I've tried both of the air suggestions already. less air and more air don't really change anything. It can't pull its own weight. If I get the idle really high, I can get up to a few miles per hour before stall.

Josh
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

What's the compression.............you need to know.
Scoot safely