87 se50 carb clean questions

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

terryc8171
Goped
Goped

87 se50 carb clean questions

Post by terryc8171 »

I've followed the carb picture cleaning guide. It talks about 2 little holes often missed. The one on the side is patent. The one next to the where the emulsion tube goes seems to be blocked. It's at about 1:00 in the picture. Spray carb cleanear hasn't helped so I'm going to do the carb dip.

The guide makes me leary to pass a guitar string in there and I was warned if it breaks off I'll be in big trouble. Which brings the questions... If is just a small hole passing through a piece of metal that empties into a large tube what's the danger or why the difficulty? I'm not minimizing the expertise of the forum guys, I BELIEVE you. I understand it can't be scratched, enlarged etc. If there is nothing IN the tube (except dirt at this point) how would the guitar string break in there? So compressed air could be blown from either direction to dislodge the dirt? No one talks about attacking the problem from the bigger opening.

There's been good explanations on how the carb works, but I haven't quite grasped it yet - fuel flow, air flow etc. I might have to draw a picture with arrows :). From which direction would the dirt have entered and plugged the hole - from the pinpoint hole side or the longer tube end?

Thanks for helping!
Attachments
plugged.jpg
plugged.jpg (21.06 KiB) Viewed 1679 times
'87 SE50
'87 NQ50
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: 87 se50 carb clean questions

Post by mousewheels »

Go ahead and blast carb cleaner from bottom, top and the air inlet at the carb air filter side which leads to the air mixture screw. It may not free the obstruction, but crud can get into those parts. There is a small o-ring and washer to seal many carb models air mixture screws. These are often stuck in the carb body. Be careful with high pressure air, those parts can come loose, get lost or poke ya in the eye :cry:

Pilot jet has a very small orifice. Sometimes foreign matter may clog the jet, gummed/varnished up fuel can also be the source of problem. Like a paint gun left uncleaned, this is not easy to blow out from either side.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: 87 se50 carb clean questions

Post by mousewheels »

Here's a sectioned view of the pilot jet and air mixture screw. Pilot jet is smaller than 0.015". Pilot jet was completely plugged in the constricted region. :D
Pilot_jet.JPG
Pilot_jet.JPG (69.59 KiB) Viewed 1657 times