trouble getting over 27 mph. help please

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: trouble getting over 27 mph. help please

Post by noiseguy »

iceman77 wrote:so when i drove it this morning and this evening i could only do about 1/4 throttle, anything more than that and it acted like it was going to cut off. could bad reeds be the issue?
You have an air leak. Stop riding the bike b/f you melt the piston.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
iceman77
Elite
Elite

Post by iceman77 »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Reed-related misbehavior is usually hard-to-start and poor low-end. Could be reeds, but seems unlikely and a real PITA to disassemble and gaskets, et. al.

Check for vacuum leak with an unlit propane torch. As the scooter idles, fumigate the gap between carb and manifold. Lift the carb up&down manually and listen for ANY change in idle speed as the flammables augment the mixture.

I agree with The Bear that 109 is lackluster at best. Is the air filter "Springy"?

well it is really hard to start in the mornings.
I'll check for air leaks tonight.
iceman77
Elite
Elite

Post by iceman77 »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Check for vacuum leak with an unlit propane torch. As the scooter idles, fumigate the gap between carb and manifold. Lift the carb up&down manually and listen for ANY change in idle speed as the flammables augment the mixture.
i just got done checking for vacuum leaks. it idles perfect. i couldn't hear a change in idle speed at all.
iceman77
Elite
Elite

Post by iceman77 »

I'm not sure what else to do. any more ideas?
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

have you cleaned the main emulsion tube in the carb? it is the brass piece that hte main needle slides into in the carb to get it out take a chopstick or a pencil and tap it out through the top of hte carb. you have to take the main jet out and it will fall out through that opening. the small holes in the tube get all clogged with gunk and cause sputtering and loss of power because the fuel cant properly atomize. the tube and needle control throttle from about 1/8th to 3/4th throttle
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
iceman77
Elite
Elite

Post by iceman77 »

Mystic wrote:have you cleaned the main emulsion tube in the carb? it is the brass piece that hte main needle slides into in the carb to get it out take a chopstick or a pencil and tap it out through the top of hte carb. you have to take the main jet out and it will fall out through that opening. the small holes in the tube get all clogged with gunk and cause sputtering and loss of power because the fuel cant properly atomize. the tube and needle control throttle from about 1/8th to 3/4th throttle
i have cleaned the carb twice but didn't know that would come out. i'll get on that this evening.

thanks
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

something a lot of people look past is crank seals, that would create the problem your having. the engine will run very lean and no adjustments will be a permanent fix because its ever changing. take a gander at but they are not always obviously bad. im not saying jump to this, but it could be. also a dirty fuel valve will do it, a bad gas cap will do that, and that seems like a very small main jet.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Hey MySpree, it's been awhile :hi:.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
iceman77
Elite
Elite

Post by iceman77 »

it seems like it's not getting gas. idle is perfect. 1/4 throttle is perfect but and thing more than that is falls flat. if you let off the throttle, back to perfect idle. if i wait a couple seconds and do wot it will run like that for about 3 to 5 seconds b4 it falls flat on it's face.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Boy oh boy, were getting into all sorts of possibilities. Here's one, you could check the filter in the gas tank and also the operation of the petcock. Sounds like the fuel is at issue here :imo: I'm sure we can come up with more than that but you have your hands full already. :crazy: Good Luck and Happy Trails! :happy:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

agreed, clean your fuel petcock, check the in tank filter, and make sure that the petcock is opening all the way. your engine is running your float bowl empty, so its has to be between your gas tank, and were the fuel enters the carb.
iceman77
Elite
Elite

Post by iceman77 »

MySpree wrote:your engine is running your float bowl empty, so its has to be between your gas tank, and were the fuel enters the carb.
I turned the screw all the way out on the bowl while i turned the throttle and gas was coming out the whole time. Also when I unhook the gas line from the carb gas flows out freely.

on a side note what is the line uner the gas line do?

thanks
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

that is the vacuum line that operates the fuel petock, when the engine is running the vacuum opens the diaphram to allow fuel to flow, when the engine is off and no vacuum the petcock closes to shut the fuel off. i seriously think the emulsion tube is partially obstructed but i could be wrong.
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
iceman77
Elite
Elite

Post by iceman77 »

Mystic wrote:that is the vacuum line that operates the fuel petock, when the engine is running the vacuum opens the diaphram to allow fuel to flow, when the engine is off and no vacuum the petcock closes to shut the fuel off.
so if the engine is off, and i take the fuel line off of the carb then when the line is empty then it shouldn't continue to run. correct?
when i take the line off the carb when the engine is off it will drain till the tank is empty. could this be my problem?
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

yes its a problem but it shouldnt be causing your current issue. even though the fuel is not cutting off from the tank the float and needle valve cut off flow to the carb once the bowl is full
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma