Spree Transmission Oil Change?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

indetrucks
Goped
Goped

Spree Transmission Oil Change?

Post by indetrucks »

I see the inspection hole on the side, but how do you do a basic transmission oil change?
I don't see a drain plug anywhere under the scoot.

Weird
-Christian
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: Spree Transmission Oil Change?

Post by evilone »

The inspection hole is the drain and fill hole. You gotta tip it on it's side to drain or you could remove the cover, if removing the cover you should replace the gasket.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
indetrucks
Goped
Goped

Post by indetrucks »

evilone wrote:The inspection hole is the drain and fill hole. You gotta tip it on it's side to drain or you could remove the cover, if removing the cover you should replace the gasket.
I had a feeling you'd say that.
How often do you guys change the oil?
-Christian
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

I find it interesting the 98% of the knotheads on here can't read a service manual, available free in the Tech Documents section. Either too lazy or too stupid, guess which one I vote for? Image
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

Bear45-70 wrote:I find it interesting the 98% of the knotheads on here can't read a service manual, available free in the Tech Documents section. Either too lazy or too stupid, guess which one I vote for? Image
agreed bear. the service manual tells you how to specifically change the trans oil and how often to do so...
'89 Honda Elite SB50p STOCK
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 STOCK sold
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 48mm bbk, taz gears, 18mm carb w/ ct intake
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock In The Works ;)
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock
OneBulletDan
Elite
Elite

Post by OneBulletDan »

Just went through the manual again. 3-7 tells how to check the level and what flavor of oil to use, and 9-1 tells you to drain it before transmission work and refers back to 3-7, neither of which tells how to drain it.
If you look through the maintenance schedule, it recommends it should be changed every 7,500 miles. I changed mine when I was restoring the scooter. After I took the engine out, I just pulled the plug and turned it on it`s side. Won`t change it again unless I drive it into the creek. Between the scooters I have now, I don`t think I`ll get 7,500 on the Spree before I take the dirt nap.
We can learn much from wise words, and less from wise guys.
indetrucks
Goped
Goped

Post by indetrucks »

Bear45-70 wrote:I find it interesting the 98% of the knotheads on here can't read a service manual, available free in the Tech Documents section. Either too lazy or too stupid, guess which one I vote for? Image
First thing I did before even buying my scoot was download the FREE PDF manual.
Only says how to check it and how often to change it. NO WHERE does it say to lay the scooter on its side to drain it.

so yeah... from one lazy (lets not forget dumb) knot head to another...
And while you're at it, pray tell what page number it states to go ahead and lean the scooter over in order to change the oil.

Thanks in advance *enter eye rolls here*
abreen89 wrote: agreed bear. the service manual tells you how to specifically change the trans oil and how often to do so...
And where "specifically" does it say this?
OneBulletDan wrote:Just went through the manual again. 3-7 tells how to check the level and what flavor of oil to use, and 9-1 tells you to drain it before transmission work and refers back to 3-7, neither of which tells how to drain it.
If you look through the maintenance schedule, it recommends it should be changed every 7,500 miles. I changed mine when I was restoring the scooter. After I took the engine out, I just pulled the plug and turned it on it`s side. Won`t change it again unless I drive it into the creek. Between the scooters I have now, I don`t think I`ll get 7,500 on the Spree before I take the dirt nap.
I agree... I guess we really are "Knotheads" since we cannot find it.
-Christian
SuprasNsprees
Elite
Elite

Post by SuprasNsprees »

indetrucks wrote:
Only says how to check it and how often to change it. NO WHERE does it say to lay the scooter on its side to drain it.

And while you're at it, pray tell what page number it states to go ahead and lean the scooter over in order to change the oil.

abreen89 wrote: agreed bear. the service manual tells you how to specifically change the trans oil and how often to do so...
OneBulletDan wrote:Just went through the manual again. 3-7 tells how to check the level and what flavor of oil to use, and 9-1 tells you to drain it before transmission work and refers back to 3-7, neither of which tells how to drain it.

*, I'm just happy that you know how to use punctuation, and can spell.

unlike what seems to be the majority of the board
'86 Honda Spree : taz stage3 w/ mild porting, head milled 0.015", and pulley mod. 2k+ mies on kit
'80 Puch Magnum MKII
'78 Maxi Newport. Polini 64cc case matched, hi comp head, Rito alum crank, delorto 21mm race, etc.
'78 PA50 Hobbit
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

indetrucks wrote:

Well, get your help from the 'Know nothings" like you then. Beside you are stupid, you figured out how to drain it before and now you are too stupid to figure out how to do it a second time.

Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
indetrucks
Goped
Goped

Post by indetrucks »

Other than you being a complete -*|e (and I mean that sincerely), I have no idea what your last post is in reference to?

Who said that they drained the oil already/previously? My question was "how do you drain it?" Now for some unknown reason you decided on the intelligent response of calling me "a knothead." I'm not too worried about the part of suggesting my laziness and/or stupidity, as you don't know me and that's just ignorance on your end.

Right, now let's get back to business...
Along with your brilliant insults, you somehow managed to squeeze out an ounce of wisdom, that I should read the owners/maintenance manual.
Lucky for you (and me I guess) I already have. Wow look, I'm not the only one either, another member has also done this and likewise stated that no where in this manual does it mention how to drain it (as you proclaimed).

So without being insulting (again), can you please direct me to the page/section of either owners or maintenance manual that explains the drainage procedure.

And before anyone spouts off to me for insulting you (calling you a complete -*|e), and to quote Rambo "he drew first blood."

You might be the KING of the moped world, but you are still an -*|e who needs to take a step back and think before throwing insults towards those whom he has never met.
Last edited by indetrucks on Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Christian
indetrucks
Goped
Goped

Post by indetrucks »

abreen89 wrote: the service manual tells you how to specifically change the trans oil and how often to do so...
And to address your response. I did see the 7,500 mile interval for transmission service. Forgive me for the redundant inquiry as I have never owned a scooter.
I have owned countless 2-stroke race bikes as well as dirt bikes. All which require a transmission oil change every 3 rides at the latest or depending on how hard you ride.

So yes, I questioned an interval of 7,500 miles and wanted to know if you guys actually changed it more frequently?
I understand they are small 50cc scoots, but based on the low MPH.... I imagine you are riding on the high end of the RPM band just as frequently as my race/dirt bikes.
-Christian
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

indetrucks wrote:Other than you being a complete -*|e (and I mean that sincerely), I have no idea what your last post is in reference to?

Who said that they drained the oil already/previously? My question was "how do you drain it?" Now for some unknown reason you decided on the intelligent response of calling me "a knothead." I'm not too worried about the part of suggesting my laziness and/or stupidity, as you don't know me and that's just ignorance on your end.

Right, now let's get back to business...
Along with your brilliant insults, you somehow managed to squeeze out an ounce of wisdom, that I should read the owners/maintenance manual.
Lucky for you (and me I guess) I already have. Wow look, I'm not the only one either, another member has also done this and likewise stated that no where in this manual does it mention how to drain it (as you proclaimed).

So without being insulting (again), can you please direct me to the page/section of either owners or maintenance manual that explains the drainage procedure.

And before anyone spouts off to me for insulting you (calling you a complete -*|e), and to quote Rambo "he drew first blood."

You might be the KING of the moped world, but you are still an -*|e who needs to take a step back and think before throwing insults towards those whom he has never met.
Still to stupid to learn from your own mistakes and still making them. I am not a king, but I am a h*ll of a lot smarter than you will ever be. You came asking for help but refuse to think for yourself. Another example of the failed education system. All they know how to do is cry for help and never learn from their mistakes because they already know everything, but no NOTHING! Image
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
indetrucks
Goped
Goped

Post by indetrucks »

Bear45-70 wrote: Still to stupid to learn from your own mistakes and still making them. I am not a king, but I am a h*ll of a lot smarter than you will ever be. You came asking for help but refuse to think for yourself. Another example of the failed education system. All they know how to do is cry for help and never learn from their mistakes because they already know everything, but no NOTHING! Image

lol.. I LOVE "mydick is bigger than yours" threads. But in this case, it's you continuing to insult me in an attempt to mask the fact that you cannot "back up" your own recommendation.

Let's try this again:
Dear Bear45-70,
You suggested reading the manual in order for me to better understand where to drain the transmission oil. Sadly, I cannot find this section... can you be of assistance please?

Although, I am VERY impressed with your ability to "Google images" and copy paste the URL into your responses... However, I don't think it's getting the point across. Do you mind doing it once more? Oh and possibly call me stupid one more time? You are quiet the wordsmith btw, ever thought about writing children's books?

Oh and one more thing... it's "know nothing" not "no nothing."
But wait, you knew that though right? Because after all, you are "a he|| of a lot smarter than I will ever be." :lol:
-Christian
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

You missed it totally. :roll: You figured out how to drain it before and now you can't figure out how to do it again. Sad, very, very sad. Image

Here fill this out and send it in, it won't make you any smarter, but you will feel better.

Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
indetrucks
Goped
Goped

Post by indetrucks »

Bear45-70 wrote:You missed it totally. :roll: You figured out how to drain it before and now you can't figure out how to do it again. Sad, very, very sad. Image
No my friend, you missed it.
Where in this thread (or any thread that I have created/posted) do I make mention of EVER draining the oil?

Six things that I, as well as EVERYONE else on this scooter forum have learning from your unhelpful posts:
1) You don't read thoroughly. (I never mentioned draining the oil previously)
2) You are WRONG about the service manual telling us how to drain the oil. (you have yet tell me the section/page number)
3) You like inserting animal pictures into your posts. (see your responses above)
4) You love insulting people (specifically their intelligence) which somehow makes yourself feel better. (see 85% of your posts throughout this forum)
5) You have a strange/creepy obsession for Bears and animals. (see your Avatar, over-sized signature, user name, and excessive insertion of animal pictures)
6) The only "stupid/lazy" person in this thread is you. (insulting ones intelligence without first doing any research)

Since you haven't answered any of my other questions, lets move on to another shall we?

I have searched a lot of your old posts on this forum as I like to know what kind of person whom I am dealing with. Many of your responses are just plain rude, mean, and unhelpful. Not everyone has owned the quantity of 50cc scooters as you have.
If you cannot be helpful to new scooter owners, why are you on here? Wasn't this forum established to help other like minded owners? I'm no shrink, but I think you have some anger issues and may need to take a few deep breaths prior to spouting off unhelpful/rude responses.

I recommend going through some of your old posts to try to understand where your hostility is coming from. Being a d!ck will get you nowhere in life as well as a lot fewer friends.

I am looking forward to a more intelligent response (hopefully one answering the oil drain question) so please, take your time and try to resist the urge to post another animal picture :thumbwink:
-Christian