Gyro Newby needs some help.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Culli
BMX
BMX

Gyro Newby needs some help.

Post by Culli »

Hello,
Glad to see so much interest in the Honda Gyro. Here's the deal. I saw my dad's 1984 Gyro sitting in the garage not being ridden for 5 years now its now mine if I can make it run again. Its red and looks like in pretty good overall condition, except I know the gas has varnished. So, I began taking it apart and I removed the gas tank, side covers, muffler and basically trying to get to the carb to remove and clean it up. I am soaking the tank with some acetone, but when I was removing the gold colored bracket above the carb there two green wires not attached to anything and a small rectangular metal piece that I have determined is a resistor. (looking at parts diagrams for gyro).
My question is where does it mount, what is it for, where can I get one, If I cant make mine work.
I am new to this forum thing and my mechanical ability on scale of 1-10 is hopefully a 6. Any help in an easy way to remove and clean the carb would be helpful also. Thanks
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Gyro Newby needs some help.

Post by eliteguy50 »

Welcome fellow Iowan. Sorry I can't be of help on mounting points. I am a Gyro S guy.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Culli
BMX
BMX

Post by Culli »

Thanks anyway,
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Culli wrote:Thanks anyway,
Do you have a picture of the part? I could probably help with identifying it and how to test it.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Culli
BMX
BMX

Post by Culli »

Thanks,
here are some pics of the resistor, as you hopefully can see the wires are not attached, i probably need a new one but it would be nice to know what it is for and where it attaches too.

[DSC04752.JPG*][DSC04753.JPG*][*

DSC04751.JPG]
Attachments
DSC04753.JPG
DSC04753.JPG (110.96 KiB) Viewed 2567 times
DSC04752.JPG
DSC04752.JPG (148.82 KiB) Viewed 2567 times
DSC04751.JPG
DSC04751.JPG (155.81 KiB) Viewed 2567 times
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

That component is a resistor in series with the Carb Bystarter.

One end goes to the Green lead of the Bystarter. The other resistor green lead goes to a dual ground terminal. Follow the coil ground up to where it connects to the harness above the air cleaner, and you will find the connector. It looks like a flag terminal, but has two loops for the bullet connector pins.
Culli
BMX
BMX

Post by Culli »

Ok, I see the wires connect, but since the wires are broken off of the resistor, is it toast or is the resistor missing something because all there is metal housing. I dont know what it looked like before the wires came off. thanks
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

The resistor looks missing, it is usually stuck in the metal can. The value is in the NN50 Service Manual available at this site O I think it is somewhere around 5 ohms to 7 ohms.
Culli
BMX
BMX

Post by Culli »

Thanks for the help. The manual is great.