Elite isnt starting.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

cdg1984
BMX
BMX

Elite isnt starting.

Post by cdg1984 »

I purchased a 99 elite sr about 3 weeks ago. When I bought it, it fired right up. Took it for a test ride...rear wheel was bent, but seemed to run ok. Got the scooter home about an hour later, started right up again. Well, now its been sitting for a few weeks, waiting for me to get a new rear wheel put on, which i have, but now its not starting. I dont really know where to begin looking for problems. Ive done a little bit of work on cars, but not a whole lot. Never worked on a bike or scooter. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
onna spree
Spree
Spree

Re: Elite isnt starting.

Post by onna spree »

Is your battery charged, plug wire on, 2 connectors on coil on, cdi plugged in, brake on? check compression also. I get a manual for all my scooters, but you can use wikispreedia on this site for info. I live in so. Indiana, if you live close, I can help.
cdg1984
BMX
BMX

Post by cdg1984 »

onna spree wrote:Is your battery charged, plug wire on, 2 connectors on coil on, cdi plugged in, brake on? check compression also. I get a manual for all my scooters, but you can use wikispreedia on this site for info. I live in so. Indiana, if you live close, I can help.
Where is Milport? I dont think its around here. The battery is charged ( lights come on, signals ets...). The starter works fine as well. Im going to head out to the garage here in a bit. Ill see what I come up with.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

you may want to put a fue drops of gas down the spark plug hole to help start it....
then check the bystarter ..
swimmingfree
Last edited by swimmingfree on Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
Elite_FiddyS
BMX
BMX

Post by Elite_FiddyS »

Do you happen to treat your fuel? The ethanol in the fuel couldve gummed up your carb. If you buy this stuff called starton and put it in your tank and shake it up the enzymes in it will eat the ethanol. I run it in mine. If your carb is gummed up so to your local marina and ask for this spray called powertune. Mad easy to use just remove your fuel line from the tank to the carb and spray this stuff in it let it sit for about 20 mins and drain the bowl. should fire right up :)
cdg1984
BMX
BMX

Post by cdg1984 »

Its only been 3 weeks since its ran, is that long enough to get it gummed up?
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

The wifes 2000 elite does the same if it sits long periods of time. Almost like it loses it's "prime". It does eventually start and starts no problem as long as it's used. In other words...you need to ride it more.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Elite_FiddyS wrote:The ethanol in the fuel couldve gummed up your carb. If you buy this stuff called starton and put it in your tank and shake it up the enzymes in it will eat the ethanol.
You got a link to that starton stuff? I googled with no luck.

Home Depot has something called trufuel that does not have any ethanol. But it's already pre-mixed 50:1 and is pricey. Great for small things like weedeaters.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
cdg1984
BMX
BMX

Post by cdg1984 »

Well I got it going. All I did was tighten the spark plug, and she fired up. So I got her going, hopped on and rode over to my friends house. Initially it rode like it did when I bought it.....slow to accelerate, almost boggs down, but then gets going. Got to my friends, and it sat for a good hour and a half to 2 hours. Got back on, and was giving me trouble to start. Finally she started up, and the idle was all over the place. it would go up and up, then id hit the rear brake, and it would slow a bit, but still pretty high. When I got on and hit the throttle, it took right off, all kinds of torque. Ran fine for a block or so, then shut off on me. Finally got it started again, and ran for another 1/2 block. I have yet to get it started again. It acts like it wants to, but it just wont get there. Any tips?
motormike

Post by motormike »

Described condition indicates gas not being delivered properly. The pilot jet is most often the problem when acting like you describe.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
cdg1984
BMX
BMX

Post by cdg1984 »

I was figuring it was a fuel/air delivery problem. So I guess I should try to change the pilot jet? Or just give it a cleaning? Where is it located?
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

when starting a cold motor you need to not open up the gas if you do the chock is not helping it start..but when the motor is worm you need to open it up a little ...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
dun rite
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by dun rite »

in the wiki http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... al_Section there is a how to on cleaning the carb as well as a picture guide. This will help you, also do a search for Pinprick o light.
taz 50mm bbk, 51g. rollers,1500 c spring
24mm arreche, #20 pilot, E2 needle clip on lower groove
arreche air filter
Naruku intake, reeds & block
v8 pipe
stock gears
trail tech temp & rpm gauges
cdg1984
BMX
BMX

Post by cdg1984 »

swimmingfree wrote:when starting a cold motor you need to not open up the gas if you do the chock is not helping it start..but when the motor is worm you need to open it up a little ...
swimmingfree
I dont give it any gas when or starting...just hit the button or stomp it. Open what up, im not sure I understand what your trying to say.
cdg1984
BMX
BMX

Post by cdg1984 »

Thanks dun right. The guy claimed that it has a new carb. He gave me the old one, so had no reason to doubt him.