Wont Idle

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Candies
BMX
BMX

Wont Idle

Post by Candies »

Ok, I took off the carb today and cleaned it. When I reinstalled it I made sure the throttle notch was above the throttle stop screw but unfortunately it will not idle AT ALL. In order to get it running, I have to give it a little gas and keep on the gas to keep it running. This will not work very well for riding. I've messed with the throttle stop screw as well as the other three adjustable screws as well and it just wont idle at all. I dont want to go out and buy a tachometer because, frankly, I have no idea how to use one. When I go to start it, it does occasionally have that deep growl like it's going to start up, but doesnt. HELP :(
"Well, this fits here...like that...and this here...like that...and d***, I broke it AGAIN" hahaha
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Wont Idle

Post by abreen89 »

Candies wrote:Ok, I took off the carb today and cleaned it. When I reinstalled it I made sure the throttle notch was above the throttle stop screw but unfortunately it will not idle AT ALL. In order to get it running, I have to give it a little gas and keep on the gas to keep it running. This will not work very well for riding. I've messed with the throttle stop screw as well as the other three adjustable screws as well and it just wont idle at all. I dont want to go out and buy a tachometer because, frankly, I have no idea how to use one. When I go to start it, it does occasionally have that deep growl like it's going to start up, but doesnt. HELP :(

can we get some more information on what kind of scooter you have? normally you only have two adjusting screws and the lower one is the drain bowl. Go to wikispreedia and download your manual and it will tell you everything you need to know about getting an idle.
'89 Honda Elite SB50p STOCK
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 STOCK sold
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 48mm bbk, taz gears, 18mm carb w/ ct intake
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock In The Works ;)
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock
Candies
BMX
BMX

Post by Candies »

Sorry. 1985 Honda Spree. I read the manual and unfortunatly, I did not record the number of turns on the screws. I messed around with the settings for about half an hour and it just would not idle. I also read that I should start with the idle in most of the way and then adjusting the mixture. I'm thinking this is my problem because if the carb was clogged I'm sure it would not run at all even with the throttle engaged.
Attachments
carb copy.jpg
carb copy.jpg (97.55 KiB) Viewed 6480 times
"Well, this fits here...like that...and this here...like that...and d***, I broke it AGAIN" hahaha
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

Candies wrote:Sorry. 1985 Honda Spree. I read the manual and unfortunatly, I did not record the number of turns on the screws. I messed around with the settings for about half an hour and it just would not idle. I also read that I should start with the idle in most of the way and then adjusting the mixture. I'm thinking this is my problem because if the carb was clogged I'm sure it would not run at all even with the throttle engaged.

if that picture is your carb i would take it off and give it a bath dirt can cause it not to idle, turn ure mixture screw all the way in and then out 1 7/8 turns and then throttle screw around 2 out it doesnt to get it to idle stronger turn idle screw in less idle is out either your idle is too far out or its time to clean her up!
Candies
BMX
BMX

Post by Candies »

O this pic is before I cleaned it. It's clean now. Thanks I will try that tomorrow.
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

did u clean the inside if not go to wikispreedia.com and follow the directions under carb cleaning picture guide.
Candies
BMX
BMX

Post by Candies »

Inside and out.
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

where is all that oil coming from? that carb spacer looks like its upside down too. or backwards.on side has a oring on it. that faces the manifold. the carb already has a oring on the flange. if its not there then you need another one. test the bystarter too. if thats not work right, the bike wont run right either.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

It looks like the bystarter is not down all the way either.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Candies
BMX
BMX

Post by Candies »

The oil was because it was leaking oil from the elbow. I fixed that. It's quite possible I put the spacer on wrong :wink: See, the bike worked ok before I took apart carb. As for the testing of the bystarter, I am ill-equipped for that lol
Candies
BMX
BMX

Post by Candies »

Wait wait wait! This picture is the ORIGINAL before I even touched it! So...it was running off of this carb in the photo before I messed with it and now it WONT idle...ironic isnt it?
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

if bystarter was bad it would be very hard starting
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

check your space just make sure it lines up with the inatke and carb rubber to intake. also i think it has a pa logo on it that should face out.
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

check your space just make sure it lines up with the inatke and carb rubber to intake. also i think it has a pa logo on it that should face out.
Candies
BMX
BMX

Post by Candies »

:shock: