General question on removing variator

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by breaze »

Hi all,
I have always removed the variator by holding the flywheel side and wrenching the nut on the driven gear. Recently I was giving this advice and it was pointed out to me that this could damage the crankshaft. This seems logical and seems like good advice so I started looking for a tool to hold the driven gear. I am currently working on a 2001 SA50 and pulled out the service manual to read up on removing the variator - here is what I found:

My tendency is to go with what I was told and hold the shaft on the driven gear side but that means waiting til I find a tool (I have a flywheel holder). Has anyone had problems with the crankshaft when holding it still from the flywheel side?
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Re: General question on removing variator

Post by Dio89Elite »

To help with driven gear removal, I use an oil filter wrench... might not be the best tool but it has sufficed for me. :mrgreen:
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Impact gun, just dont go crazy with it.

I know what people say about the impact, but when used correctly it's the easiest and most efficient way of removing the variator nut
breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by breaze »

Thanks - obviously there are lots of ways to remove the nut on the driven gear. I really was more concerned about the discrepency between how the manual describes the procedure (holding the flywheel side) and the feedback I received on this forum from a very experienced member.

Really just wanted to find out if the manual is describing a process that could damage the crankshaft. Seems like that would be important to know for all members.
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

bradthreee wrote:Impact gun, just dont go crazy with it.

I know what people say about the impact, but when used correctly it's the easiest and most efficient way of removing the variator nut

+1

I like the electric impact guns better than air powered.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
Carnie
Elite
Elite

Post by Carnie »

I use an impact gun to take it off and a torque wrench to put it back on, that way I don't overdo it.
1987 Spree
1994 Elite SR
Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Post by Kevinstonge »

I'm about to finally install my Ruck variator on my nb50 and I came across this thread in search of a safe way to remove the nut without air( no air in my garage right now). I don't believe breazes original question was ever answered.
Is it safe for the crankshaft? I'm thinking this is my only option without air, and also the easiest option as I already have the holding tool.
Also how are you guys holding the crank still while torquing the nut back on??
THANKS!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Google TUSK CLutch Holding Tool for the fastest Pulley Immobilizer in scooterdom.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Post by Kevinstonge »

Thanks wheelman but that still does not answer the question I'm looking for..
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Seriously? With This tool. I ground some notches into the blades to make it sit down better between the teeth of the outer pulley's Bendix teeth. It's just long enough to reach the ground when clamped onto the pulley, so I don't even have to use my other hand to hold it; just let it swing to the pavement and torque the pulley nut.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Post by Kevinstonge »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Seriously? With This tool. I ground some notches into the blades to make it sit down better between the teeth of the outer pulley's Bendix teeth. It's just long enough to reach the ground when clamped onto the pulley, so I don't even have to use my other hand to hold it; just let it swing to the pavement and torque the pulley nut.
Sounds easy as ever and ill probably be ordering one tomorrow. That definitely answers my 2nd question and I appreciate the help. But the question breaze asked, and im still curious about is if its safe to hold the flywheel while installing and removing the variator nut, or will the torque applied somehow damage the crankshaft and/or bearings?
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

i have done it both ways many times. i think the problem people are afraid of are the crank halves rotating independently from each other since they are only pressed onto the main pin. although i havent ever heard of it happening. anyway i will either use a impact gun on a low setting to remove, or take a sturdy screw driver, and wedge it into the case webbing and firmly against the teeth on the variator drive face while loosening the nut. i have always been able to easily do it that way loosening and re-torquing. even with loc-tite. and it looks like wheelman was implying the variator side being held with the tool.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Post by Kevinstonge »

Thank you sir!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Using a torque wrench smoothly, it doesn't seem to matter which end you hold, except removing the shroud is another step. When impact and therefore vibration is added, particularly tighteniing, there is a risk of twisting the crank out of alignment. Yes, I hold the outer vario pulley, but the pins on the tusk can engage the magnet wheel too. I don't currently own an impact gun, but if I did I'd use it only for the rear wheel nut. That one can be tough to crack!
Wheelman-111