Starting Problems

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

ldentle
Noob
Noob

Starting Problems

Post by ldentle »

I like to know if anyone had this problem . I have a 1985 Spree ,which have starting problems when it warms up. When it's cold I'm able to start it with no problems only I have to hold the throttle till it warms up. After it warms up it idle and runs just fine with plenty of top end power. When I turn it off after a run I can't get it to start right back up ,It hits but never start until it cools off. It acts like a 4 cycle engine with low timing ,hits and tries to start. These are some of things that have been done to it, the carburetor has been disassembled and cleaned ,pilot jet removed and cleaned ,new piston ,rings and head, new spark plug ,auto bystarter and coil . Timing checked, it appears to be OK line up on the F mark.

Any Help is appreciated,
Louis
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Starting Problems

Post by Bear45-70 »

Usually with a warm motor, you have to crack the throttle open a bit to get them to start. At least my Spree and both my Aero 80's require that.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
ldentle
Noob
Noob

Post by ldentle »

I do crack the throttle a little ,but if I go a little wider it stops hitting and continues to just crank like it's getting no fuel . I can give it a shot of starting fluid and it will crank. Do you think this could be a auto bystarter problem ,it appears to not have enough fuel to start.
I put a timing light on it while cranking and it still shows firing on the F mark.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

ldentle wrote: I can give it a shot of starting fluid and it will crank. stop using this or you will fry the motor.
clean the carb and see if the bystarter is working..
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

ldentle wrote:I do crack the throttle a little ,but if I go a little wider it stops hitting and continues to just crank like it's getting no fuel . I can give it a shot of starting fluid and it will crank. Do you think this could be a auto bystarter problem ,it appears to not have enough fuel to start.
I put a timing light on it while cranking and it still shows firing on the F mark.
As Swimming says, NO STARTING FLUID with 2 strokes. When the engine is warm the bystarter is in the off position and does nothing, so the bystarter is not the issue unless you have a cold start problem.

How have you adjusted the idle mixture screw?
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
ldentle
Noob
Noob

Post by ldentle »

The carburetor has been cleaned several times. Both jets and pilot jet have been removed from the carburetor and cleaned all holes are clear . Air mixture is set to 1 7/8 turn from the seat. I do notice that air mixture have very little effect on the idle from 1 to 2 1/2 turns out from the seat. So I just set it to the service manual recommendation 1 7/8 turn . All air mixture adjustments were made with the engine warm and running. Any tips on how the air mixture should be adjusted other than the service manual way.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

ldentle wrote:The carburetor has been cleaned several times. Both jets and pilot jet have been removed from the carburetor and cleaned all holes are clear . Air mixture is set to 1 7/8 turn from the seat. I do notice that air mixture have very little effect on the idle from 1 to 2 1/2 turns out from the seat. So I just set it to the service manual recommendation 1 7/8 turn . All air mixture adjustments were made with the engine warm and running. Any tips on how the air mixture should be adjusted other than the service manual way.
You are not listening. It is not the main jets or pilot jet. The main jet has NOTHING to do with starting. The idle mixture number given in the manual is a STARTING POINT ONLY and is not hard number. If you actually read the manual you would know that you adjust it for the highest RPM possible and having not done this is why you have a stumble off idle. Your idle mixture is too lean causing the stumble.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
ldentle
Noob
Noob

Post by ldentle »

I never said I had a stumble off idle . Once the engine is warm it runs perfect , idle to full throttle is fine no stumbles . The problem is when I turn it off and try to start it again, it hit as if it wants to start just as I mention in my first post . I understand about idle mixture adjustment is starting point but the adjustment has very little effect on rpm that's why left it at the 1 7/8 turn. Also I have tried 1 -2 1/2 turns it idles OK warm but will not start right back up once I turn it off, that's the problem.
ldentle
Noob
Noob

Post by ldentle »

I found something that is very interesting about my starting problem. I found that if I kick start the engine while it's warm it fires right up. Using the electric starter it starts cold but not when it's warm . I put new bushings in the starter drive thinking it would help, but no luck. The starter appears to spin just fine. Do anyone know the difference the engine see starting with the electric starter vs kick starting.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

It's not the starter. Quit trying to fix it, it is not broke. My Aero 80 does this and I am beginning to suspect the stator because I have either disconnected or swapped out everything else.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree