86 Spree - feels real sketch at speed...

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

ChanceNasty
BMX
BMX

86 Spree - feels real sketch at speed...

Post by ChanceNasty »

So, I get up to WOT (about 28-30), and things get really sketchy - like i got a flat, but I don't. Curious if maybe my tire pressure's low or something - what should a 170 pounder be running pressurewise? Or maybe it's a loose headset? Any suggestions as far as what may be causing this squirreliness?
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 86 Spree - feels real sketch at speed...

Post by Mystic »

possibly a bent rim or failing wheel bearings?
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
ChanceNasty
BMX
BMX

Post by ChanceNasty »

Here's hoping not. Its odd...before the wknd, everything was running gravy. I get home, hop on...and feel really spooked over 25...
motormike

Post by motormike »

For air pressure, I would be running 28-30 in the rear....26-28 in front... :hi:
The Spree front fork has very a lot of "slop" as does most other scooters (unless the fork is hydraulic).
Several points are likely to make the Spree get "squirrely" at speed. Front tires with wear will cause wobble, loose steering head, worn rear shock and mounts, worn engine pivot bolt and mounts, bent wheels, loose wheels, worn bearings on axles. .....inspection required... :wink:
RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
ChanceNasty
BMX
BMX

Post by ChanceNasty »

oh boy...and its entirely too d*** hot out to play wrench monkey today...
...hopefully it can make the 5 mile round trip to work and back so i can get paid. :P
motormike

Post by motormike »

...Highly recommend you check air pressures before the ride. Your description indicates a "sudden" change and the air pressure would be likely to change quickly before any of the other stuff.
RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
ChanceNasty
BMX
BMX

Post by ChanceNasty »

Good looks, sir. I don't have a pressure gauge handy where I'm at atm, but they def feel a lil soft...
SuprasNsprees
Elite
Elite

Post by SuprasNsprees »

sprees are sketchy always, but low tires DEF make it difficult to ride
'86 Honda Spree : taz stage3 w/ mild porting, head milled 0.015", and pulley mod. 2k+ mies on kit
'80 Puch Magnum MKII
'78 Maxi Newport. Polini 64cc case matched, hi comp head, Rito alum crank, delorto 21mm race, etc.
'78 PA50 Hobbit
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

Its pretty quick and easy to check for play in some key areas (no need to remove plastics). First start with the front tire by seeing if it will wiggle between the forks, should be no wiggle. If theres anything funny here its probably the wheel bearings.

Next check the steering column for play by standing in front of the scooter and pinning the front tire between your feet while carefully trying to turn the handlebars back and forth several times. You should immediately feel any turning forces trying to move your feet, if not then the steering column is either loose, has bad bearings or both.

Next you'll want to inspect the rear. First try wiggling the entire motor assembly to see if there's any play. If the entire motor has any left to right motion that is independent of the rest of the scooter frame then you have bad bushings that need replacing.

Lastly, check if the rear wheel has any play with respect to the motor case. Anything here would be transmission related.

My aero had a loose steering column and bad mount bushings on the motor, making for a VERY squirrely ride! So make sure you check everything, as its possible to have several contributors to sketchy handling.
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
kingkamehameha
CB900F
CB900F

Post by kingkamehameha »

Imagine doing 70 on a spree :crazy: ive been doing far 55 mph wheelies lately. Im gonna rig up a go pro and post some mento wheelie vids
ua mau ke 'ea o ka aina i ka pono o hawaii