Urbane express lacks power, shuts down

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Buckeroo Bob
BMX
BMX

Urbane express lacks power, shuts down

Post by Buckeroo Bob »

!983 urbane express in neglected shape, but purchased by friend anyway. The problem is getting it started and to continue running. I checked compression with the Pep Boys cheap kit and got only 75 lbs. using kick starter. Don't know if this is accurate. Another thing was finding oily, greasy sludge in the variator. Could this be an indication of a leaking crankcase bearing on the left side of the engine causing the problem with starting? I did all the normal "try to get it going things" like clean the gas tank, check fuel delivery, clean the carb, new air filter sponge, new plug, new belt, cleaned the clutch and variator, etc. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
zadman2012
Goped
Goped

Re: Urbane express lacks power, shuts down

Post by zadman2012 »

Buckeroo Bob wrote:!983 urbane express in neglected shape, but purchased by friend anyway. The problem is getting it started and to continue running. I checked compression with the Pep Boys cheap kit and got only 75 lbs. using kick starter. Don't know if this is accurate. Another thing was finding oily, greasy sludge in the variator. Could this be an indication of a leaking crankcase bearing on the left side of the engine causing the problem with starting? I did all the normal "try to get it going things" like clean the gas tank, check fuel delivery, clean the carb, new air filter sponge, new plug, new belt, cleaned the clutch and variator, etc. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I'm a newbie also, but I'll suggest reeds... damage to, as in.
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

honda used to pack the variator with grease.

low compression is probably your starting issue.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
Buckeroo Bob
BMX
BMX

Post by Buckeroo Bob »

Really? They packed the variator with grease? Seems like a recipe for slipping belts, etc. Well, I cleaned it all out since it was black and combined with rubber and did not lubricate it in any way. The drive belt was only 60% of its original width. Guess I'll just have to pull the head and cylinder and go from there. Thanks for the insight.