93 Honda Elite 80 Help!!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Eechysan
Noob
Noob

93 Honda Elite 80 Help!!

Post by Eechysan »

Hi guys,

Thank you for taking the time to look at my thread. I have a 93 honda elite 80. It was running really great until about last week. I installed a battlescooter exhaust and upjetted to #98. It also has a new belt, clutch, rollers, pulley spring, fuel filter, and shock.

Everything was running good until I put the uni air filter directly to the carb. I tuned the idle and air screw and it was running top notch for 2 days. Then on the third day it died at a light. I got home home by starting it and just WOT home. When I come to a stop or let off throttle it dies on me.

What I did to fix it.
1) Cleaned out carb, all jets, and passages like 5 times.
2) Put stock exhaust and stock Main jet back in.
3) Adjusted the valves
4) Tuned the carb to stock settings. Mixture screw 1 1/2 turns out. Idle screw about 4 turns out
5) Petcock is giving me fuel to carb

So after all of this. I can get it to start and idle, but after about 30sec it dies. Sometimes when I give throttle it dies, sometimes it doesn't, but after throttle it dies.

I keep on trying to adjust the mixture screw and idle screw, but it still doesn't stay on longer than 2min.

Can anyone help me with this please. Thank you so much!

Mike
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Re: 93 Honda Elite 80 Help!!

Post by zuphilius »

This is more of a two stroke forum, but there are people here that can help. I would suggest totalruckus.com, go to other scooter forums, click on Elite and they have a bunch of people with Elite 80's.

Sounds to me like a dirty carb. Clean it again and see what happens.
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
az_slynch
Spree
Spree

Re: 93 Honda Elite 80 Help!!

Post by az_slynch »

Check compression. Check the bystarter, it's similar to the one that the 2Ts use. Check the intake manifold for cracks or cuts cause by rubbing against the cooling shroud. Later model CH80s have a metal collar around the manifold to protect it, but it may have been left out at one point.
'64 Vespa 90 (V9A1)
'65 Allstate Compact (DS60)
'74 Vespa 125 Primavera (VMA2)
'81 Vespa P200E (VSX1) (2)
'83 Yamaha Riva (XC180K) (2)
'84 Yamaha Riva (CV80L)
'85 Honda Spree (NQ50)
'86 Honda Gyro S (TG50)
'87 Honda Elite (CH80)
'89 Honda Elite E (SB50P)