86 Spree not running

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

laufen
Noob
Noob

86 Spree not running

Post by laufen »

I've had this 86 spree since 05 and have never had a problem with it whatsoever, always started right up via electric or kick start. Now, I've been trying to get it cleaned and in top notch mechanical condition and I can't get it started. Today I took the air filter cover off and noticed part of the air filter was missing and when I picked up the remaining filter it started crumbling. I ordered a new plug and filter from amazon. I'm wondering if the part of the filter that is missing got sucked into the carb or what. I tried spraying some starting fluid into the air box and tried starting and it still wouldn't start, although it sounds like it was wanting to. So confused.
SpreeWilly
BMX
BMX

Re: 86 Spree not running

Post by SpreeWilly »

Try cleaning out your carburetor. There are a couple videos on YouTube that will walk you through it. It's not a difficult task, and could be restricting airflow and providing an incorrect gas mixture. Could be your culprit!
Landon

1984 Honda Spree that was brutally kidnapped & relentlessly rescued from the West Side of Buffalo.
1985 Honda Spree that keeps his '84 close at night.

I'm prepared to fight for my Spreedom.
laufen
Noob
Noob

Post by laufen »

Yikes, I guess I'll try to get that accomplished. Im just feeling frustrated because I've had this thing for 7 years and never had a problem and then all of a sudden I can't get it started. I've even been having a difficult time finding a good parts store online.
laufen
Noob
Noob

Post by laufen »

Before I take the carb off and clean it I decided to check the plug. Got the plug out and it was wet and had black build up on it. I'm wondering if this could be why it wouldn't start. I wiped it off and got the black gunk off the top of it and I'm gunna try again. I'm hoping I can get it to start up at least.
laufen
Noob
Noob

Post by laufen »

I wiped the plug off and put it back in and it fired up. While it was running it was blowing white smoke like crazy. I had put a bit of seafoam in the gas however before this and previously I had sprayed a bit of starting fluid into the airbox to try to get it to run. Not sure what the white smoke was from.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Skip the u-tube morons and follow the instructions in Wikispreedia.

http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... r_Cleaning

and

http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... ture_Guide
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

laufen wrote:I wiped the plug off and put it back in and it fired up. While it was running it was blowing white smoke like crazy. I had put a bit of seafoam in the gas however before this and previously I had sprayed a bit of starting fluid into the airbox to try to get it to run. Not sure what the white smoke was from.

White Smoke= excessive oil. It will burn off.

Stop using starting fluid you will burn up your bore.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts