1985 spree won't run

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

blackdog
Noob
Noob

1985 spree won't run

Post by blackdog »

My '85 Spree will not run more than some poor idling after start up. I have confirmed good fuel flow from the petcock. I have good compression (about 130-135 psi.). I have good spark (and a new plug). I have fuel in the carb. bowl and I have a clean air filter. I have had the carb. off and cleaned it four times now. The scoot will start and sputter with poor idle. Any attempt to give some throttle will usually kill it (I know the throttle cable is working properly as I have seen it through the intake). The other day I was able to get it to run for awhile and if it gets gas it will run. Now it is right back to where it was. I have read that there is a secondary uptake tube for fuel in the carb. bowl next to the main jet tube and if it is clogged there will be no running at more than idle. Not sure if this one is obstructed despite my cleaning attempts but I plan to pull the carb and clean this tube again. The scoot had been running fine and all of a sudden this problem that I can not seem to solve. Any Help?
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 1985 spree won't run

Post by abreen89 »

blackdog wrote:My '85 Spree will not run more than some poor idling after start up. I have confirmed good fuel flow from the petcock. I have good compression (about 130-135 psi.). I have good spark (and a new plug). I have fuel in the carb. bowl and I have a clean air filter. I have had the carb. off and cleaned it four times now. The scoot will start and sputter with poor idle. Any attempt to give some throttle will usually kill it (I know the throttle cable is working properly as I have seen it through the intake). The other day I was able to get it to run for awhile and if it gets gas it will run. Now it is right back to where it was. I have read that there is a secondary uptake tube for fuel in the carb. bowl next to the main jet tube and if it is clogged there will be no running at more than idle. Not sure if this one is obstructed despite my cleaning attempts but I plan to pull the carb and clean this tube again. The scoot had been running fine and all of a sudden this problem that I can not seem to solve. Any Help?
could be a tuning problem you need too start with the mixture screw 1 3/4 turns out and then adjust the idle for its highes idle (1800rpm +-100) or until the tire doesnt move. the pilot jet could be your problem as you suspect as well
'89 Honda Elite SB50p STOCK
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 STOCK sold
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 48mm bbk, taz gears, 18mm carb w/ ct intake
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock In The Works ;)
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock
Pete M
Elite
Elite

Post by Pete M »

Your pilot port is still clogged. It is a pain to clean sometimes.
89 Elite E
thekingof7
Goped
Goped

Post by thekingof7 »

Off topic but where in Wisconsin are you located blackdog?
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

abreen89 wrote:
blackdog wrote:My '85 Spree will not run more than some poor idling after start up. I have confirmed good fuel flow from the petcock. I have good compression (about 130-135 psi.). I have good spark (and a new plug). I have fuel in the carb. bowl and I have a clean air filter. I have had the carb. off and cleaned it four times now. The scoot will start and sputter with poor idle. Any attempt to give some throttle will usually kill it (I know the throttle cable is working properly as I have seen it through the intake). The other day I was able to get it to run for awhile and if it gets gas it will run. Now it is right back to where it was. I have read that there is a secondary uptake tube for fuel in the carb. bowl next to the main jet tube and if it is clogged there will be no running at more than idle. Not sure if this one is obstructed despite my cleaning attempts but I plan to pull the carb and clean this tube again. The scoot had been running fine and all of a sudden this problem that I can not seem to solve. Any Help?
could be a tuning problem you need too start with the mixture screw 1 3/4 turns out and then adjust the idle for its highes idle (1800rpm +-100) or until the tire doesnt move. the pilot jet could be your problem as you suspect as well
This is WRONG! You adjust the idle mixture screw for the highest idle speed possible, THEN adjust the idle speed screw for 1800 + or - 100 RPM or until the rear wheel just does not rotate.

Both abreen and Pete are right, you idle circuit, AKA pilot circuit is still dirty. Clean the carb per the instructions in Wikispreedia in the "Tech Section" under carb cleaning.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

Bear45-70 wrote:
abreen89 wrote:
This is WRONG! You adjust the idle mixture screw for the highest idle speed possible, THEN adjust the idle speed screw for 1800 + or - 100 RPM or until the rear wheel just does not rotate.

Both abreen and Pete are right, you idle circuit, AKA pilot circuit is still dirty. Clean the carb per the instructions in Wikispreedia in the "Tech Section" under carb cleaning.

what i meant just not what i wrote copied for future references.
thekingof7
Goped
Goped

Post by thekingof7 »

Im a bit confused as to the first bit. By adjusting the mixture screw to the highest idle, do you mean literally unscrew that sucker to achieve the heaviest mix? Or are you saying the highest idle to the point were the wheel starts spinning?
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

thekingof7 wrote:Im a bit confused as to the first bit. By adjusting the mixture screw to the highest idle, do you mean literally unscrew that sucker to achieve the heaviest mix? Or are you saying the highest idle to the point were the wheel starts spinning?
highest idle you can get without wheel IS NOT spinning.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

abreen89 wrote:
thekingof7 wrote:Im a bit confused as to the first bit. By adjusting the mixture screw to the highest idle, do you mean literally unscrew that sucker to achieve the heaviest mix? Or are you saying the highest idle to the point were the wheel starts spinning?
highest idle you can get without wheel IS NOT spinning.
No again, when adjusting the mixture screw you want the highest engine idle speed possible and forget about what the rear wheel is doing. Also if you unscrew the mixture all the way out and still have the engine running, you have a major fuel rich problem somewhere and chances are the engine will not idle for long. After highest RPM is achieved, then use the idle speed screw to set the idle to 1800 + or - 100 RPM or the rear wheel just not turning.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

wow im s*** for help.. :urban: So you use the mixture screw for highest rpm possible, then drop the idle screw to drop it down to 1800 + or - (or rear tire not moving).. Got it...
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Did you see the guitar string cleaning method?
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

martynkim wrote:Did you see the guitar string cleaning method?
+1 worked for me twice so far..
Pete M
Elite
Elite

Post by Pete M »

Depending on how the port was drilled in the carb, you may NOT be able to put a wire through it. You can also create an additional problem if you damage the body of the casting. The port is clear when you can spray carb cleaner through the brass tube and it sprays into the throat of the carb. Sometimes if you spray compressed air from the other side it will clear the pilot port also.
89 Elite E
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

abreen89 wrote:wow im s*** for help.. :urban: So you use the mixture screw for highest rpm possible, then drop the idle screw to drop it down to 1800 + or - (or rear tire not moving).. Got it...
Yes.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree