Possible Bystarter?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Pete M
Elite
Elite

Re: Possible Bystarter?

Post by Pete M »

Both of you need to listen to Bear. You are missing something or your problem would have gone away.
89 Elite E
thekingof7
Goped
Goped

Post by thekingof7 »

Pete M wrote:Both of you need to listen to Bear. You are missing something or your problem would have gone away.
This thread is changed in no way positive or negative with addition of this post. If you have solid advice (thanks Bear) post it, we don't need a ned flanders to chime in.
thekingof7
Goped
Goped

Post by thekingof7 »

@Bear Appreciate the weighing in, it sounds like proper carb cleaning is the lynch pin for most these builds ;)
I'm gonna pop by my old man's house this weekend for a dunk in the GUNK bucket.
Curious if you know of any decent suppliers for carb gasket sets other than ebay or one of the larger OEM suppliers (cheapcycle, southsound, etc) everyone here seems to mention going to a local Honda dealer and having them order, but this is a rather confusing bit for me. Are we talking a Honda car dealership or is there some sort of actual local part shop type I should be looking for?
I'm located in the 53202 zip code if that helps, maybe you'd have a few names.
Appreciate it.

@SpreeWilly

I'm in a very similar boat mechanically and experience-wise, it seems like cleaning the carb on these scooters is a bit of an art and just from what I've seen in other threads it is more than common to do a good 3 separate cleanings before results are seen.
My scooter had no issues with pickup warm or cold until I started adding treatment to the fuel, I believe this worked some fresh buildup into my filter unit and likely my carb so i shall post back once I can take the plunge in remediating these issues.
Good luck bud!
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

thekingof7 wrote:@Bear Appreciate the weighing in, it sounds like proper carb cleaning is the lynch pin for most these builds ;)
I'm gonna pop by my old man's house this weekend for a dunk in the GUNK bucket.
Curious if you know of any decent suppliers for carb gasket sets other than ebay or one of the larger OEM suppliers (cheapcycle, southsound, etc) everyone here seems to mention going to a local Honda dealer and having them order, but this is a rather confusing bit for me. Are we talking a Honda car dealership or is there some sort of actual local part shop type I should be looking for? Honda Motorcycle Dealer. My choice is South Sound Honda in Olympia. They call me by my first name and give me nice discounts. http://www.hondabike.com/default.asp your local dealer should do the same thing. FYI, IMHO (OK maybe just IMO) these carbs rarely if ever need a gasket kit as they use o-rings for the main gasket (bowl to carb body) and they don't go bad unless abused.
I'm located in the 53202 zip code if that helps, maybe you'd have a few names.
Appreciate it.

@SpreeWilly

I'm in a very similar boat mechanically and experience-wise, it seems like cleaning the carb on these scooters is a bit of an art and just from what I've seen in other threads it is more than common to do a good 3 separate cleanings before results are seen. These carbs have very small fuel and air passages and it takes next to nothing to plug them, especially the idle or pilot circuit.
My scooter had no issues with pickup warm or cold until I started adding treatment to the fuel, I believe this worked some fresh buildup into my filter unit and likely my carb so i shall post back once I can take the plunge in remediating these issues.
Good luck bud!
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
thekingof7
Goped
Goped

Post by thekingof7 »

Sounds good bear, I'll check back after a good soak and scrubbing.

-Cheers
SpreeWilly
BMX
BMX

Post by SpreeWilly »

I have some input.

I have cleaned my carburetor thoroughly with the help of a tech, chemically cleaned my muffler, replaced my air filter, replaced my sparkplug, adjusted my carburetor screws, replaced a few bolts, fixed a vacuum leak (the black tube between my airbox and carb was loose), inspected my belt-OK, tightened transmission bolts, changed my final reduction oil, and got my tires to PSI spec.

And after it warms up, it bogs like before.

So finally after getting so frustrated I could have punched a wall, I consulted a friend of mine who's a veteran scooter tech and very reliable. He said it plainly: it's your bystarter. For some reason the design of the carb confuses it (he explained to me why but I don't recall the specifics), especially if you've just replaced your bystarter (which I did). He says the bystarter reads temperatures and adjusts the fuel throw accordingly (or something like this). When your bike warms up, it isn't recognizing that warmth and it functions, but functions incorrectly. The reason why you're bogging is because you're slightly flooding the engine every time you begin accelerating again. It usually will correct itself as you continue riding. There's not much you can do. If you are starting your engine when its already warm, slightly open the throttle and it will help start the bike. Let it idle for a few minutes before you jump on and ride. Something else you can do to help the issue is use a hotter spark plug instead of the standard NGK, which the hotter sparkplug is also approved by Honda (Denso: W14FPR-L).

I plan to get the warmer sparkplug and see if this helps.
Hope this sheds some light. If you've managed to correct the issue, please tell me how!
Landon

1984 Honda Spree that was brutally kidnapped & relentlessly rescued from the West Side of Buffalo.
1985 Honda Spree that keeps his '84 close at night.

I'm prepared to fight for my Spreedom.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

You friend doesn't know s***.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
thekingof7
Goped
Goped

Post by thekingof7 »

Yeah Im not really too sure what a hotter spark would bring to the table in regards to your bystarter.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

If the bystarter was bad the motor would be too rich after warm up at idle at idle and would die all by itself. Your scooter tech has no clue what a bystarter does or how it works.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

test the bystarter and you will know if it is functional or not.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Just because the bystarter function test, does not mean they bystarter system is working.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Pancake Sauce
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake Sauce »

My 86 spree loses power after it warms up. I know my bystarter doesn't work at all because it has no wires coming out of it. :thumbwink: I ordered a replacement that should arrive within a week or 2 so I will report back with the results. My spree actually idles warm and cold for some reason, whether it is 10 seconds after starting or 2 hours. I must just be a very lucky guy. :coolcruise:
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'83 Honda Aero 80
thekingof7
Goped
Goped

Post by thekingof7 »

Pancake did you ever order that new bystarter, and if so did you see an improvement?

The next thing Im thinking about for the issues I mentioned with the slowdown after warmup is just doing a little compression test. Before and after.

Just curious as to what sort of results I render. :D
Pancake Sauce
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake Sauce »

It should be in the mailbox by tomorrow. I will surely post my results.
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'83 Honda Aero 80
motomech
Goped
Goped

Post by motomech »

Honda auto-chokes are very reliable and usually only develop problems when people start messing with them. Also, It only acts on the starting circuit which functions only on the very bottom of the carb's metering range. Once the motor is up to temp, the auto choke has nothing to do with how the scooter runs.
The poster whose scooter looses power as it warms up should test the crank seals.