e-bay 49cc cylinder kit...pure crap

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

patallen
BMX
BMX

Re: e-bay 49cc cylinder kit...pure crap

Post by patallen »

noiseguy wrote:
patallen wrote:every time i ask a question on this forum i get bashed on. :*: i dont know what i am doing wrong.

for the takers, piston pin to deck is exactly the same so piston do not sit further down.
this kit is sold as a "direct replacement for dio motors, AF18E", so i dont see why in the * i would need to bother with such off spec stuff like that.

Cylinder height is exactly the same as the original dio one too.
So to me, they just machined the top and bottom of the cylinder 0,1 off the center, thats it.

I will make a shim of the proper thickness and mill the deck down. This will bring the all the ports as the same place as the dio one, and once i will mill the deck down, it will bring back compression ratio up.
Well... you admit that you bought the cheapest kit and it didn't work out. My question is what kit, exactly, and the seller. Would need that information to be able to figure out what was used. Then it's a Q of whether the break in was the issue, or the kit.

Rest of comment are around ensuring that the kit will work. The idea that most folks working on these bikes would check port heights, etc, post installation is optimistic in the extreme... most kids won't even check the running clearance before trying to fire it up. If they get all four bolts tight on the head it's considered an installation success. ;)

i didnt admited i bought the cheapest kit, i bought the one i found. i contacted the seller and he said there might be issue with machining, giving him the fact that i sent him pictures with measurement details compared to the DIO cylinder.
I only own cars...9
but i own now a Elite 97 and a Peugeot 104 pedal moped... ;)
WeeMan
Spree
Spree

Post by WeeMan »

Hi

Could you post a link to which kit it was on Ebay?

I have had a look at the Dio options and there a very mixed bag on Ebay. One even looks like it is quoting the outer bore diameter as the inner bore which is not correct. I am not as knowlegable as a lot of the people on here but by looking in the wiki and searching the forum with a bit of time you soon find what you need. To be fair to you, one or two of those kits on Ebay are that cheap they probably are not very good as they are just too cheap. Not saying you have a really cheap one but I was a bit suprised how cheap some of them are.

I have been messing with my scoot for months with bits and pieces and although its miles better its still not spot on. But the more you do the more you learn. I hope you get it sorted and understand your frustration. Most of us have been in the same place at some point.
patallen
BMX
BMX

Post by patallen »

WeeMan wrote:Hi

Could you post a link to which kit it was on Ebay?

I have had a look at the Dio options and there a very mixed bag on Ebay. One even looks like it is quoting the outer bore diameter as the inner bore which is not correct. I am not as knowlegable as a lot of the people on here but by looking in the wiki and searching the forum with a bit of time you soon find what you need. To be fair to you, one or two of those kits on Ebay are that cheap they probably are not very good as they are just too cheap. Not saying you have a really cheap one but I was a bit suprised how cheap some of them are.

I have been messing with my scoot for months with bits and pieces and although its miles better its still not spot on. But the more you do the more you learn. I hope you get it sorted and understand your frustration. Most of us have been in the same place at some point.

Hi, thanks for the diligent and polite reply. :thumbwink:

here is the kit i bought
i will post my pictures soon, but i am convinced of my findings, at least i will try it and will let you know the results.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330752822913?item=330752822913
I only own cars...9
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Autotech355 shipping out of Taiwan. There's news we can use.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

Which motor do you have af16 or af18? The main problem I see if it is an older af16 or even early af18....the kit you ordered its for a 12mm wrist pin which is a different crank than the af16 and early af18 if I am not mistaken. I know the af16 has a 10mm wrist pin NOT 12mm which the kit you bought clearly states, but you are in canada so you may have the af18 with 12mm wrist pin. Tai bores are a lot better than china bores :P Taiwan is where they race all the scoots
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
kingkamehameha
CB900F
CB900F

Post by kingkamehameha »

Mystic wrote:Which motor do you have af16 or af18? The main problem I see if it is an older af16 or even early af18....the kit you ordered its for a 12mm wrist pin which is a different crank than the af16 and early af18 if I am not mistaken. I know the af16 has a 10mm wrist pin NOT 12mm which the kit you bought clearly states, but you are in canada so you may have the af18 with 12mm wrist pin. Tai bores are a lot better than china bores :P Taiwan is where they race all the scoots
I second that
ua mau ke 'ea o ka aina i ka pono o hawaii
patallen
BMX
BMX

Post by patallen »

kingkamehameha wrote:
Mystic wrote:Which motor do you have af16 or af18? The main problem I see if it is an older af16 or even early af18....the kit you ordered its for a 12mm wrist pin which is a different crank than the af16 and early af18 if I am not mistaken. I know the af16 has a 10mm wrist pin NOT 12mm which the kit you bought clearly states, but you are in canada so you may have the af18 with 12mm wrist pin. Tai bores are a lot better than china bores :P Taiwan is where they race all the scoots
I second that

wrist pin has nothing to do with the current issue, remember i ran that motor for a week, if there would have been any issue with that it wouldnt have ran at all or seized.
bore and stroke is the same, its a AF18E.

i took it apart because i was disapointed of the power output, and figured out the port timing issue by comparisions/measurements with the older cylinder.
its all together now, i made thicker gasket and milled down the cylinder already.
will tell you how it "performs" once it runs.
I only own cars...9
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

I am just saying if you buy the wrong kit then of course it gonna be different, you dont have to be a douche bag about it :P
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
patallen
BMX
BMX

Post by patallen »

fwiw, i edited my list of foes....

I did exactly what i said, i made the necessary gasket under the cylinder to bring the ports to get proper opening duration, and milled the top down+ 0,010 to bump up the CR a litle. I CC'd it all and its at about 8:1 for now, which is just fine imho. Note that this is for a casual usage toy for my son, not a daily driver scoot.

fwiw, piston pin is 12mm on this motor.
The only way this cylinder could have worked "as is" is on a motor with 0,1" more stroke, which doesnt makes sens at all. its just crap, i stand correct.
and dont get me wrong, altough ive been quoted as stupid, morron, douche bag and what else, i am 42, and rebuilded TONS of cars engines, specificaly BMW ones. I am fully equiped and is a well known tuner here in town. I have a turbocharged modified 2002 with 300hp on tap. 100% custom made.
Attachments
IMG_0087.jpg
IMG_0087.jpg (164.96 KiB) Viewed 4947 times
I only own cars...9
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

patallen wrote:fwiw, i edited my list of foes....
Ha! I wish more ppl would just do that.

Looks like you have this mis-machined jug well on it's way to being cleaned up.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

patallen
BMX
BMX

Post by patallen »

fwiw i did put it all back together and fired it up. its a complete different thing for now. Now its obvious i need to fabricate a proper tune pipe for that.
i bought graham bell book for 2 stroke tuning, very nice book, explains very well how to make a proper tune pipe, altough i have a software to simulate some.
stay tuned...
Attachments
IMG_0088.jpg
IMG_0088.jpg (120.79 KiB) Viewed 4878 times
I only own cars...9
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

There's a java-based pipe builder in Adv Tech Docs here. http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... f=8&t=1012

Bottom line is that it's easier to adapt an existing pipe than to roll your own chambers, but if you're up for it... I frankly don't have the patience or sheet-metal-fab expertise.

Tuned pipe requires changes to variator weights and/or main clutch spring to get the variator to "shift" at higher RPMs so that it will stay in the powerband.

On these, you can run down to 0.020" clearance head to piston. Much less and you're running a risk of clearance issues.

What's this for, a go-cart?
Admin, Hondaspree.net

patallen
BMX
BMX

Post by patallen »

it is for a scaled jeep for my son.
it is de-geared already 2:1 to get more torque and less speed, its a toy after all i dont want him to get killed !

thanks for the link !
I only own cars...9
patallen
BMX
BMX

Post by patallen »

do you have any idea what is the "stock" squish clearance ? i searched all over the reference manuals and i dont see it anywhere, i know its an open chamber design thus they dont have realy a squish band, but there must be a given nominal clearance somehwere ?
I only own cars...9
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

On Spree, about .042"-.045". Assume other engines are same. This allows owner to leave out the .020" head gasket and not kill the engine.
Admin, Hondaspree.net