Drivetrain bound up on me 20Mph

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

MrChimpo
BMX
BMX

Drivetrain bound up on me 20Mph

Post by MrChimpo »

So today I was riding my bone stock 1986 Honda Spree 49cc (8500 miles) and at about 20Mph the drivetrain bound and made a friction [metal on composite? (clutch?)] sound that lasted until the scoot got down to 5mph. I am a 170lb rider and there was no extra weight on the scoot, level ground, half throttle... I was able to go up to 15Mph without it binding, and limped it home.

Recently I have noticed the clutch slipping more than I feel a MoPed should (getting up to 15Mph would take 20-25 seconds). This is my first scoot, but I have seen other 49cc scoots do just fine. I have the manual for the scoot and I am mechanically inclined therefore working on it shouldn't be an issue. Please post back any advice, direction, or knowledge You may have to get my Honda back on the road. Thanks in advance
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Re: Drivetrain bound up on me 20Mph

Post by zuphilius »

Take the side cover off and have a look. Hopefully its something simple.

Download the manual if you havent already.
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Remove the cover Inspect the belt. However, what you are describing sounds to be a clutch possibly. If nothing looks askew remove the bell in the back and inspect the clutch lining.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

Don't forget to checks/change trans fluid its probley over due anyways
MrChimpo
BMX
BMX

Post by MrChimpo »

Thanks for the quick responses - I am going to pull off the side cover this morning and have a look at what is amiss inside. I watched a good amount of YouTube videos of a guy changing the clutch and variator on his elite 50 to get an idea of what to expect. Does the Spree have a variator?

Fluid? Trans fluid? I didn't know these sprees had that. Could someone please direct me to a download of the service manual pdf? (mine is on the other linux PC not here) I am dedicating the day to research, learning, and wrenching to get on top of this setback... Happy Motoring :coolcruise:
1986 Honda Spree Partial Skelly w/ custom exhaust 8500miles
charleswymer
Goped
Goped

Post by charleswymer »

u can get the manual here

viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=11&t=999
2012 yamaha zuma 50f (daily driver)
1994 honda elite s (project)
1993 honda elite 50
MrChimpo
BMX
BMX

Post by MrChimpo »

Just got the manual. As a point of reference, how different are the honda elite 50 and honda spree 50 drivetrains? I am looking to understand the concepts of the parts used to transfer power.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

spree do not have variator .. look at chapter 8
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
MrChimpo
BMX
BMX

Post by MrChimpo »

I just pulled off the main left side case cover (clutch & belt metal cover) and noticed that the transmission cover has the oil check bolt removed (I assume oil has leaked out) and the etching AF05-E on it. The rear tire has alot of wobble to it (free play side to side) and I did not see a drain hole for the transmission fluid. From my research the AF05-E isnt the stock transmission? Any other serial / model numbers to look for to get to the bottom of this?
charleswymer
Goped
Goped

Post by charleswymer »

since it has the af05e motor it should have a variator to
2012 yamaha zuma 50f (daily driver)
1994 honda elite s (project)
1993 honda elite 50
MrChimpo
BMX
BMX

Post by MrChimpo »

I am going down to the hardware store to buy a replacement oil level check bolt (the 12mm one) but don't know the thread pitch or length of it -- without going to a Honda or Motorcycle parts supplier does anyone know what the dimensions of this bolt are? I am going to refill the final reduction (transmission) compartment with the recommended 10-40w that the manual calls for. I hope that this gets me back on track without having to remove the clutch / V-Belt.
MrChimpo
BMX
BMX

Post by MrChimpo »

OK I got most of the drivetrain to disassemble - the front gear off as well as the drive belt. I ordered one from the autoparts store (Goodyear AX-24) and I am going to clean up the pulley surfaces with emery tape before the new belt goes in. I also bought a can of carburetor cleaner, disassembling the carb for cleaning, bought a new NGK plug, and I am filling the dry transmission with 10-40w oil as manual calls for. I also fixed a HUGE exhaust leak near the flange mating surface of the head / exhaust....

I will be out tomorrow riding hoping that this drivetrain issue is resolved so that I can focus on improving the looks of the bike... Honda has always been a great brand to me thus far in reliability and ease of maintenance - this Scoot should be a great pillar to that when finished ;-)
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

charleswymer wrote:since it has the af05e motor it should have a variator to
Wrong, the Spree has the AF05E as does the SB50 Elites yet neither has a variator.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

The way to easily tell the difference is the direction of the kickstart. Counterclockwise, Spree AFO5E. Clockwise variated AFO5E. :surprise:
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
MrChimpo
BMX
BMX

Post by MrChimpo »

It does not have the variator, just the front gear for kickstart (counterclockwise) which serves as a stationary drive pulley. I had the autoparts store measure my Bando belt and it was .38 - .39 so I purchased a Goodyear AX-24. Will this belt perform well with a (suspected) half-worn clutch??? Ill find out this afternoon when it all goes back together. :coolcruise: