Possible Clogged Pilot Jet 1984 Spree??

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

NacsMXer
Noob
Noob

Possible Clogged Pilot Jet 1984 Spree??

Post by NacsMXer »

Hi everyone, this is my very first post here.

I have a 1984 Spree that I can't get to idle correctly. With the float bowl removed from the carb, shining a flashlight through the pilot hole, should you definitively be able to see a speck of light? Is the hole a straight shot from top to bottom?

I can only see a very faint/muffled bit of light through the hole but it basically looks black/dark. It looks nothing like the main jet hole which is a definitive pin hole of daylight. Looking down from the top of the carb at the pilot hole I see what looks like brass in the pilot hole? Really weird, like 1mm down in the hole you see brass colored something. I tried poking a small needle through the pilot hole, but it stops dead. Already tried carb cleaner and compressed air a million times and can get a couple bubbles of carb cleaner coming out.

With the Auto Bystarter unplugged, the Spree runs/idles and starts great. With the Auto Bystarter plugged in, it will be harder to start, and may run for a short while. After that short period it will stall and die and will not restart. Sound like a clogged pilot jet to you guys? Thanks a lot for the help, I appreciate it.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Possible Clogged Pilot Jet 1984 Spree??

Post by Bear45-70 »

NacsMXer wrote:Hi everyone, this is my very first post here.

I have a 1984 Spree that I can't get to idle correctly. With the float bowl removed from the carb, shining a flashlight through the pilot hole, should you definitively be able to see a speck of light? Is the hole a straight shot from top to bottom? Pics in Wikispreedia.

I can only see a very faint/muffled bit of light through the hole but it basically looks black/dark. It looks nothing like the main jet hole which is a definitive pin hole of daylight. Looking down from the top of the carb at the pilot hole I see what looks like brass in the pilot hole? Really weird, like 1mm down in the hole you see brass colored something. I tried poking a small needle through the pilot hole, but it stops dead. Already tried carb cleaner and compressed air a million times and can get a couple bubbles of carb cleaner coming out. ,carb cleaner of the spray can type will not get it and compressed air with more pressure than about 35 PSI causes more trouble than it cures. Again in the technical section of Wikispreedia.

With the Auto Bystarter unplugged, the Spree runs/idles and starts great. With the Auto Bystarter plugged in, it will be harder to start, and may run for a short while. After that short period it will stall and die and will not restart. For a cold start, whether the bystarter is plugged in or not. With a hot start, yes maybe. Sound like a clogged pilot jet to you guys? Yes Thanks a lot for the help, I appreciate it.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

It is not a straight shot from pilot jet to the carb venturi. Passage to the carb venturi is offset. That makes viewing light through the pilot more difficult.
NacsMXer
Noob
Noob

Post by NacsMXer »

Thanks for your replies!

The pilot hole being offset explains why the light is more faint than the main jet hole. That's what I was wondering about. I can now see a decent glimmer of light through the pilot hole when I turn my flashlight on and off. I will try to reassemble and report back.
motomech
Goped
Goped

Post by motomech »

As well as the low-speed jet, you must make sure the low-speed circuit passageway is free and clear.
Here is a Wiki I wrote on the subject years ago over at Scootdawg.
http://scootdawg.proboards.com/index.cg ... hread=6235
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

motomech wrote:As well as the low-speed jet, you must make sure the low-speed circuit passageway is free and clear.
Here is a Wiki I wrote on the subject years ago over at Scootdawg.
http://scootdawg.proboards.com/index.cg ... hread=6235
An self proclaimed expert. :jack:
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
NacsMXer
Noob
Noob

Post by NacsMXer »

After confirming I could see light through the pilot hole, I cleaned and blew it out again for good measure. I put it back together today and it now runs and idles perfect with the bystarter plugged in. It appears that it was running off of the bystarter circuit before when it would only run continuously if the bystarter was unplugged. Thanks again for your help and suggestions!