Piston Rings

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

ringLord4
Spree
Spree

Piston Rings

Post by ringLord4 »

Hi,

I bought new piston rings from Powersportsplus.com They were $25 with shipping when I used this code: meetsister

Weird code, but whatever.

I was REALLY careful not break them. I got them on the piston but then could not get the cylinder back on over the new piston. I had the rings in the right place, lined up with the points. So I took the piston off. Turned it upside down and tried to slide it in. Then I put it in the wrong way and while trying to get it out I brok one of the rings. :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Sad day.

Anyways, have new ones on the way. Any help or advice would be much appreciated! the other problem I had was getting the piston back on. I have yet to do it, but It seems difficult to line up with the bearing on the top of the crankshaft.

Thx for the help!!

:)
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Piston Rings

Post by swimmingfree »

are you sure the rings are stock size ?????
what motor are you working on??
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
ringLord4
Spree
Spree

Post by ringLord4 »

Yea, I'm sure. I am working on a 1984 honda spree. 49cc engine.
deuce217
CB900F
CB900F

Post by deuce217 »

Welcome ring lord, the easy way to do this(or at least easy for me) is to:

*first remove the wrist pin from the piston (this is the little shaft inside the piston) it is held by a small "C" clip, carefully remove 1 of the clips so you my slide the wrist pin out, do not use anything that could scratch your piston to assist this out try a plastic pen.

*Now your piston is out, so remove any old debris form it.

*Apply a small amount of 2-stroke oil on the piston where the rings go, now put the rings in place (some piston rings with come with an additional little thing that resembles a piston ring but is bent multiple times to create a spring to go under one of the rings, this I have always thrown away), once they are seated rub that oil over the rings so the are coated.

*Remove the existing "C" clip from the piston and put in a new one in it's place if your ring kit came with some.

*make sure the jug is clean inside, now apply some more oil on the cylinder wall with a clean finger or two.

*Make sure the piston is facing the correct way which usually has an arrow pointing toward the exhaust port or an "EX". If it does not have these symbols, the pins that keep the rings from rotating should go on the opposite side of the exhaust port.

*Compress the rings with your fingers and insert the piston into the jug (have the jug on a work bench upside down), this should slide right in. If there is any snag make sure the rings are tight to the piston I use both hands and as many fingers as I can to keep this as I slide it in :naughty:

*Now just make sure your gaskets are good to go and reassemble.

Note: Since you broke the old ring removing the piston, you may have to use a flex hone to repair the scratched are where the ring had an issue. which is probably right next to an exhaust or intake port. If this is not addressed your new rings may not last very long. A local shop will probably charge 5-10 bucks for this unless they are too good for scooter work.

P.s. What is with name ringlord? Was this sarcasm after the piston ring issue? Sorry, I couldn't hold back.

I should also mention, I am no type of scooter guru or master mechanic but this has worked for me with zero issues, I have broke not just rings but even a jug on a Aero 50 not all that long ago, when I did not want to remove the piston first for a simple ring change. I slid the jug on the new rings and must have cracked one, because I when I kick started the motor... The ring caught on the intake port which broke the port, destroyed the new rings and the old piston. Take it easy.
2000 Elite SR50 -THE PURPLE NURPLE
50mm BBK (tai)
26mm OKO (round slide) 135 Main Jet
V-8 pipe
39/18 secondary gears (7.583:1 ratio)
36 grams in Prodigy variator
Malossi Delta Clutch & WIng Bell- Thanks RED EFT
65mph GPS (on the freeway)
Duke
Spree
Spree

Post by Duke »

The rings also have nearly microscopic print on the top side of the ring. Find the markings and make sure they face the top of the piston. Use a liberal amount of oil during assembly! Good luck :happy:
87 Elite 50
99 Aprilia SR50 Carb polini
02 Aprilia SR50 Ditech busted soon to rock gy6 150cc power!
1973 Suzuki TS185 smoker!
2002 KTM Duke
rogerthat
BMX
BMX

Post by rogerthat »

deuce217

You're saying, put the piston into the jug, then with the piston/jug together, put it back on to the connecting rod? That seems like a lot to hold steady, to get the pin to line up with the piston and the connecting rod bearing. I've always done it the way ringLord4 describes it, and never had too much trouble ... but then again, I've only worked on two Honda Sprees, so if your method is easier, then I'm willing to try it as well.
deuce217
CB900F
CB900F

Post by deuce217 »

What ever works for you is the way to do it. I can bust these out pretty quick my way.ale sure the crank is at top dead center/ TDC and it goes quick.
2000 Elite SR50 -THE PURPLE NURPLE
50mm BBK (tai)
26mm OKO (round slide) 135 Main Jet
V-8 pipe
39/18 secondary gears (7.583:1 ratio)
36 grams in Prodigy variator
Malossi Delta Clutch & WIng Bell- Thanks RED EFT
65mph GPS (on the freeway)
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Did you use a piston ring compressor? You can make one from a radiator clamp. If you're really being careful, you can use a cut pop can around the rings first, then radiator clamp.
piston_radiator.jpg
piston_radiator.jpg (7.71 KiB) Viewed 5630 times
I personally have never removed a piston to just replace rings. Ring clamp and lots of oil, yes.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
motomech
Goped
Goped

Post by motomech »

New rings should always have the "end gap" checked.
With a lite coating of oil in the cyl., one simply pushes the ring about a third of the way down with the piston inverted. Then check the gap with a feeler gauge.
A ring compressor is not needed for these little engines. Thumbnail pressure on each side is plenty if everything else is correct.
ringLord4
Spree
Spree

Post by ringLord4 »

Wow, this is great information. Thanx guys! I'll let you know how it goes. As for my name. My last name is Ring, and I am pretty serious about my Christian faith so I try to include it in my screen-names sometimes! Unfotunately, it sounds like a spin off name for Lord of the Rings or something like that! lol. But, not about the piston rings. lol
ringLord4
Spree
Spree

Piston won't go in

Post by ringLord4 »

I have the new rings here and with everything lined up right, the piston won't slide in. I am compressing the rings to the piston and trying to slide it into the jug and it seems like it just won't fit.

I bought the rings at http://www.Powersportsplus.com.

I want to make sure I got the right rings.

Here is a picture of the options, I got the third piston ring set down.
Attachments
Picture 11.png
Picture 11.png (39.15 KiB) Viewed 5556 times
ringLord4
Spree
Spree

Post by ringLord4 »

Any ideas as to why it won't fit!!?