Reed cage vacuum leak

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

MrChimpo
BMX
BMX

Reed cage vacuum leak

Post by MrChimpo »

I noticed today we're working on my 1985 Honda spree that there was a week at the reed cage where it meets up to the intake flange. I noticed it making a whistling sound and a bubbling when it sucks fuel. I've also noticed that the throttle stays on longer than it should be decelerating. It seems that there would be more air getting in because of this vacuum leak which could potentially cause a lean burn situation right? I have some RTV sealant style stuff that is supposedly gasoline resistant that I'm going to use. Does anybody have any advice?
1986 Honda Spree Partial Skelly w/ custom exhaust 8500miles
Wheelman-111

Re: Reed cage vacuum leak

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Mr. Chimpo Axt-ed:
I have some RTV sealant style stuff that is supposedly gasoline resistant that I'm going to use. Does anybody have any advice?
Yes. Abandon that plan. Don't even think about it.

1. Buy the correct Gasket from Honda-san.
2. Take yours apart.
3. CLEAN up the mating surfaces very thoroughly, with a light "Ouija-Board" sanding on a flat surface if necessary. Be careful with the razor; don't gouge the surfaces.
4. Slather your new gasket with Hi-Temp grease, and
5. Bolt it back up correctly with a torque wrench.

A leak here can prove catastrophic to your engine. One has to wonder WHY it got leaky. Stripped threads, from some ham-fisted Previous Owner of course, would not surprise me.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH