can some one help me [Lethargic Spree - Ed.]

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

2ndgenaccord
Noob
Noob

can some one help me [Lethargic Spree - Ed.]

Post by 2ndgenaccord »

hello every one, im working on a friends 1984 honda spree. was running fine then one day it just seems to have lost all get up and go. ive rebuilt the carb, and changed pluges, it will start if you spray starter fluid and idle fine. once its warmed up you try to rev it and it just falls on its face almost like to much fuel . hooked a timing light up it seems to try to die at about 2800 rpms, it starts dying and if you let off it will idle fine . has any one else had this issue or can give me some advice
thank you
Wheelman-111

Re: can some one help me [Lethargic Spree - Ed.]

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

People help better when they know what it's about from the Title.
Rebuilding the carb isn't the same as getting it completely clean, which often requires multiple tries. It sounds like that could be the issue - can't "hand off" from idle to Main circuit due to plugged Pilot. Clean it again, Gen2. Replace all rubber lines as you go. BTW use premix fuel/oil, not "Starter Fluid". That stuff washes off all the oil and Bad Things happen.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
2ndgenaccord
Noob
Noob

Post by 2ndgenaccord »

thank you for the greetings.
yeah to some people the rebuild is not cleaning, i socked it in carb clean for about 6-7 hours cleaned every hole , put back together still did it so i thought it wasn't clean enough so i did it again . made sure every hole was clean and wasn't plugged , also replaced lines. it almost seems like it is just running on the fuel that feeds the thermostat thing( cant remember what its called). i know theres fuel in the main bowl though when i srapy the starter fluid its a very tiny amount not even enough to get anything wet. just enough for some vapors to get in. and thanks for the advise on the topic name can i change it or is it to late and gotta redo the post. oh and by the way dont know if it matters but the air filter pretty much came apart and went through the carb didnt seem like it went to the engine, compression is at 90 psi, little low, its got about 5000 miles on it
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

Have you replaced the air filter element?
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
2ndgenaccord
Noob
Noob

Post by 2ndgenaccord »

no not yet its not mine and the person im workin on it for doesnt have much money, does it need it or can i just put a pod filter on it
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

2ndgenaccord wrote:no not yet its not mine and the person im workin on it for doesnt have much money, does it need it or can i just put a pod filter on it
Yes it needs it and no a pod will not work.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
2ndgenaccord
Noob
Noob

Post by 2ndgenaccord »

would that cause the running issues or you think its something else. coming from cars, it would seem more air is better right?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

A bad filter element is almost certainly the problem. More AIR isn't better, more Fuel/Air Mixture at the proper blend is better. The Spree Pilot circuit - See "Tiny Pin-* O' Light" - is tiny. Its size is calibrated to supply just enough fuel to the intake tract IF and ONLY if it's operating under the little bit negative pressure in upstream of the carb.

The oil-soaked filter element and airbox system inlet holes run up a little vacuum whenever the engine runs. That vacuum sucks more fuel through the Pilot up into the carb throat than would pull if you remove ANY of the elements of the airbox and its accessories. Opening up more AIR flow (alone, while subtracting the amount of fuel drawn in) causes the mixture to go non-combustibly lean. Even worse, if you do get it to run, the temperature shoots up and you can cook the piston like That! (Snaps clumsy Wheel-fingers...)

I suspect it failed pretty suddenly, when the airy sponge started coagulating into the Primordial Ooze from whence it came, and unblocked part of the airbox to allow more air than Honda-san ordained to get by it. Buy a $5.00 element sponge, oil it with 10W-Whatever and reinstall. If the carb really is clean, and the plug isn't burnt, it should fire right up.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
2ndgenaccord
Noob
Noob

Post by 2ndgenaccord »

wow, how you explain it makes perfect sense ill try the air filter thanks for all of your help you pple are way awesome
Pete M
Elite
Elite

Post by Pete M »

Wheelman likes to use big words like lethargic so you got his attention. Sound advice for sure.
89 Elite E
2ndgenaccord
Noob
Noob

Post by 2ndgenaccord »

ok so i replaced the air filter and it still runs the same way trys to stall out under any twist up the throttle
Pete M
Elite
Elite

Post by Pete M »

The spacer between the manifold and carb has a top and bottom. If you didn't replace the orings on the carb and spacer you can make some gaskets to seal up the intake. If you have 90 psi of compression, spark, vacuum, and fuel it should run providing the fuel delivery is sufficient and correct. My money is on the carberator being the cause of your issue. It has to be "perfectly clean". Wheelmans advice is on target based on my experience with my scooters.
89 Elite E
2ndgenaccord
Noob
Noob

Post by 2ndgenaccord »

i cleaned every hole in the carb and the o ring is fine.i realized when putting it back together that the spacer does have an up and down its match to the holes on the carb and the intake. i did see that pin of light through the jet and all that. im so stumped could a dead battery have anything to do with it cause it was pretty dead jumped it to get it to start with another battery ?
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

The battery should have nothing to do with the motor running as the charge/start circuit is separate from the ignition circuit.
2ndgenaccord
Noob
Noob

Post by 2ndgenaccord »

is there any one here that lives near reno that could swing over and help me out on this