'86 Spree won't start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Re: '86 Spree won't start

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The solution to a carbon-caked exhaust is to de-carbonize. I would avoid unproven modifications that cannot be undone. Drill at your peril.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Budster
Noob
Noob

Re: '86 Spree won't start

Post by Budster »

"The solution to a carbon-caked exhaust is to de-carbonize. I would avoid unproven modifications that cannot be undone. Drill at your peril."

It WAS perilous riding along at 5 mph. Here in Indiana you are an easy target for half empty beer cans, tobacco spit or corn cobs at that speed.

I knew the muffler was clogged when I swapped in one from an '87 elite which worked but stuck out the side about a foot. Different engine. So swapping out one part for another is not a bad way to isolate a trouble spot. Gonna have to look into de-carbonizing the proper way. But the muffler may be the problem and if you can't throw the muffler into a bonfire like in California or pay for a chemical fix then maybe the quickest cheapest way is best. A little metal patch from autozone and the muffler is good to go. I will post a pic of the damage. It will be a small photo.