SA50p Progress

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

knucks
BMX
BMX

SA50p Progress

Post by knucks »

Hey guys,

Got a little video, maybe y'all can hear the engine. This was before I made air/idle adjustments, but something is definitely off here - what does it sound like to y'all?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T3cXB2mV1E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1V0uGJUU0U

I eventually got it working well, so I thought, quick throttle response and then dropped back to idle, I think, but then I managed to strip my spark plug socket so I've got a new head coming :(
mmeadows
Elite
Elite

Re: SA50p Progress

Post by mmeadows »

sounds fine to me, maybe the idle is a little high, looks like your tire is spinning.

sorry to hear about the spark plug. i have been there, its embarrassing
84 Aero af05e Ruckus variator, rear metro wheel, Leovince pipe ( work in process... porting , nh80 reeds intake carb)
knucks
BMX
BMX

Post by knucks »

Update on my progress:

Replaced the cylinder head, got it running again. Put on a new MetraKit exhaust chamber pipe. Steve of VTCycles told me I'd probably need to put some holes in the airbox for proper jetting. He included a 95 and a 90 for the stock carb.

I tried the 95, then the 90, then the 88. I am having problems with jetting. My needle is in the middle clip. I currently have the 88 jet in but there is WAY too much smoke out of the exhaust at all points through the throttle. Too much air?

I was having trouble, thinking that it was too rich, so I dropped to the 88 at the end and then couldn't get it to idle and it'd die off WOT - was playing with the air and idle screws. Towards the end of my day I put everything back (filter+cover) but did not see much improvement in the smoke out of the exhaust, but was able to get it idling..

Another thing I noticed was when I go WOT (on stand, did not ride it) the oil plug POPS OUT - so I need to get that clamped down...whats the best/easiest way to do it? Should I get a bigger washer (or a 25 cents) and then drill something and screw it in? Kinda like this

knucks
BMX
BMX

Post by knucks »

Spoke to some others, since I had this silvery liquid come out of the exhaust at idle I'd imagine the smoke is part of some paint or whatever burning off in the new exhaust. nothing else can explain all this smoke...

as far as oil, using Repsol competition 2t oil
Downsouthdio
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Downsouthdio »

How much oil u using? Whats ur ratio?
Honda super dio
Corsa
26mm
Sparrow
knucks
BMX
BMX

Post by knucks »

Since I've simply been working on it 1 day a week, I had about 32oz gas and 2oz oil..
knucks
BMX
BMX

Post by knucks »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSozof2lptg
airbox cover off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTEtlKgZKFQ
airbox cover on, I think..

I am pretty lost as to what's going on, apart from it being cold (Which might explain most of it!)

stock bore, stock carb, 88 main jet - probably need a 90 or maybe even 95.
32:1 ratio, Repsol 2t Competicion oil.

First video seems like it's too lean, right? I don't know much about these things but it sounds to me like the engine revs UP after I let go of throttle.

Towards the end of the day I raised the needle and it seemed to run better, which makes me thing the fact that it was 29*F here making it super lean - and since I can't change pilot..problems?

Also idle sometimes surges - sometimes its fine, other times i throttle up, let go, and the idle speed is lower than what it was..I checked for air leaks in the airbox-carb connection, looks fine..carb is on tight to the manifold...

At this point I am considering getting a 19mm OKO even though that probably would be too much carb for the stock bore, unless someone can point me to an arreche 17.5? or a different carb that's easily attainable that will work? Maybe something from treatland, but Im sure i'd need to make modifications to the manifold?
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Have you let it reach operating temps? Let it run 10-15 minutes then see how it is.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
knucks
BMX
BMX

Post by knucks »

Yes this was after I let it run for 15mins. Temps were in the 160-180, hit 190max I think
knucks
BMX
BMX

Post by knucks »

Just ordered a 78cc BBK via Patrick :eek:
Downsouthdio
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Downsouthdio »

78cc nikasil?